Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Avoidance

Twenty minutes later: a peaceful scene in Na No.

Lotte is patiently wiping out Tiny's mouth with a tissue, soaked in nail polish remover.

Tiny is out for the count.

Fumes, most likely.

Terence is having his eyebrows microbladed by Rex.

Hold still, says Rex.

I WAS, says Terence.

No, says Rex. You must remain motionless.

I need to see Tiny, says Terence.

If you move at  a crucial moment, says Rex, you will look always surprised.

Let me see, says Terence.

Rex shows him his face in the mirror.

Terence looks surprised.

Gaius enters the salon. All done here?

Yes, says Lotte. But you'll need to wait until Tiny wakes up. Would you like an acrylic? One nail. You choose which finger.

No thanks, says Gaius.

Go on, says Rex. We have a special Tour de France one. With the Tour de France logo.

On the house, says Lotte. Sit down. And Berthe will bring you a mineral water and two rice cracker biscuits. Or a chocolate, if you prefer.

A chocolate! says Tiny, sitting up and pronouncing his vowels even better than ever.

Good. They can leave at once, and Gaius avoids an acrylic.

.......

Meanwhile outside Max Brown, Vello and David wait for Jacobi.

Late! says Vello. So much for being German.

He may have been and gone, says David. It's half past eleven.

Not my fault I slept badly, says Vello.

So you keep saying, says David. Beats me why you stayed up to read the newspaper. Who does that these days?

I do, says Vello. And I overheard something which may be of importance.

To what? says David.

Winning, says Vello. I heard Ageless speaking to Baby Pierre. They have a secret weapon.

Pshaw! says David. Ageless's team has no chance of winning.

Ever heard of Vantablack coating? asks Vello.

Can't say I have, says David.

They have obtained some, says Vello. And Arthur has paid for it.

You must have been dreaming, says David.

It occurs to Vello that, given Arthur rarely pays for anything, he may indeed have been dreaming.

Jacobi appears, frowning.

At last, says Jacobi. I have been and gone, and come back again. Where were you?

Here all the time, says Vello. Shall we get going? I thought we might ride along the canal, and finish up in the Altstadt, for altbiers and lunch in the sunshine.

Jolly good, says David.

Jacobi continues frowning.

It is the frown of a man who doubts the seriousness of his captain.

No comments: