Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Suspicious Bread Bag

The plane has landed in Düsseldorf. Everyone has got off.

Gaius consults his to do list.

It occurs to him that Arthur might find him some suitable accommodation, via some sort of app.

It may well be quicker.

He calls Arthur. Arthur answers. Hello?

Arthur, says Gaius. I've just arrived in Düsseldorf. Have you packed up my bicycle?

Yes, says Arthur (because he intends to).

I need to let you know where I'll be staying, says Gaius. But I don't yet know myself. Any useful suggestions?

Not really, says Arthur.

Do you have some sort of application? asks Gaius.

You're joking, says Arthur. Other people have applications.

Drat, says Gaius. I suppose I'll have to....

No, I'll do it, says Arthur. Wait there. I'll call you back.

Don't go yet! says Gaius. Ageless has a message for Kobo.

Kobo? says Arthur. I thought she was with him.

No, she's returning home with Griff, Nose and Third Sister, says Gaius. Tomorrow she'll be at my house.

I'm at your house already, says Arthur. Living cheap.

I hope you're not being wasteful with the electricity, says Gaius.

What's the message? says Arthur, changing the subject, because he is being wasteful.

Ageless sends his regards to Kobo, says Gaius.

I bet he didn't put it that way, says Arthur.

Well, no, says Gaius. He licks her. Secondly, he wants Baby Pierre to get hold of some Vantablack coating. And thirdly, he wants Ouvert to keep his mouth shut.

Which one? asks Arthur.

Either one, says Gaius. And, while you're looking things up, could you find out the location of the Natural Science Museum?

Okay, says Arthur. Sit tight.

Gaius has no choice but to. He finds a seat in the airport.

Terence is bored after only one minute.

Can I go...?

No. We're waiting for Arthur to ring back.

But Tiny wants to go to the toilet!

Does he?

Yes I do, says Tiny. Look at me, bulging.

I'll take him, says Ageless. I could do with a pee.

I'm coming too, says Terence.

Gaius is left with the stuffed Barbados racer in the bread bag which is covered with pencilled instructions, looking suspicious.

Ring ring!

Let it be Arthur.

It is.

Max Brown Hotel, says Arthur. Kreuzestrasse 19A. It's near the main station. You can catch a train from the airport.

Excellent, Arthur! says Gaius. I don't know how I've got on without you. What about the Museum?

Benrather Schlossallee 102, says Arthur.

Good man, says Gaius. When are you coming over?

Not yet, says Arthur. But Vello and David are on their way. They have to bond with Jacobi.

Jacobi who? asks Gaius.

Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi. He's the new man in their team.

You don't say, says Gaius. I know old Jacobi. Crackpot philosopher. Not much of a rider.....

That's good, says Arthur.

Sportsmanship, Arthur! says Gaius. But I must go now. There's a policeman.....



No comments: