Thursday, June 8, 2017

Big Art Thoughts

The Max Brown Hotel is 700 metres from the station.

Terence is lagging behind.

Hurry up, Terence, says Gaius.

Can't, says Terence. I'm observing.

He wants to be a policeman, says Tiny Sacrifice.

I nearly am a policeman, says Terence.

We'll see what Victor says about that, says Gaius.

He said I can be, says Terence.

He said the opposite, says Ageless.

What's the opposite? asks Terence.

You can't be, says Ageless.

And what's the opposite of that? asks Terence.

You can be, says Tiny Sacrifice. You just need a hat.

If you learn to fly, you'll be the best parrot ever, says Terence.

Tiny Sacrifice looks pleased with himself, because he thought of the hat.

.....

They arrive at the Max Brown Hotel.

I believe a room has been reserved for me, says Gaius. Under the name of Secundus.

Freddie checks the reservations, and hands him an electronic room key.

Enjoy your stay, says Freddie.

I shall try to, says Gaius. I hear the rooms are quite tiny.

Not to worry, says Freddie. The rooms feature spa and bathroom amenities, and comfy style signature bedding. And we are big on art here. You will find.... ah!  I see your child is already exploring the social space. Does he like parrots?

He does, says Gaius, but he isn't my child.

Freddie looks understanding.

Terence runs over, clutching a green and red ceramic parrot.

Put it back please, young person, says Freddie. It stays on the coffee table, where it matches the wall paper.

Look! It's a parrot! says Terence.

We can all see that, says Gaius. Put it back.

Terence runs back to the coffee table with the parrot.

Ageless has set himself up on a comfortable sofa next to the coffee table.

Very good, says Ageless. You'll soon be policeman.

Terence beams. He just needs a hat.

By the way, says Gaius. A policeman may come by, looking for me.

Is that so? says Freddie.  Should I try to deter him?

No, says Gaius. He's bringing me a pencil sharpener. Send him up.

....

Half an hour later Victor knocks on the door.

Come in, says Gaius. It's open.

I brought the pencil sharpener, says Victor. I say! This room does look comfy.

Too comfy, says Gaius. It doesn't suit me, but here I must stay, until my bike comes.

Can I have a police hat? asks Terence.

You can wear mine, says Victor. I'm going off duty.

Terence puts on the hat, which covers his eyes.

Gaius shakes the stuffed Barbados racer out of the bread bag.

Victor gets to work with the sharpener.

Soon the Barbados racer is shorter but once again pointy.

Thank you Victor, says Gaius. Not perfect, but good enough for a Natural Science Museum.

Ha ha, laughs Victor. When are you going there? I might come with you.

Tomorrow, says Gaius. I thought I might try and locate Jacobi today. Arthur tells me he's riding with Team Philosophe.

Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi? says Victor. He's not much of a rider. Smart fellow though.

Hmm, says Gaius. If you say so.

This is a rubbish hat, says Terence. I can't see anything.

He can't see anything, says Tiny Sacrifice. He can't see the fish.

What fish? says Terence.

See, says Tiny Sacrifice. He can't see it.

Thank you, says Terence, taking the hat off. What fish?

That fish, says Tiny Sacrifice, pointing to the art on the wall above the signature bedding on the comfy bed that fills the whole room.

It is a simplified triptych, depicting a fish.

Part one is the fish head. Part three is its tail. Part two, in the middle, is an xray, revealing the fish bones.

Underneath is printed in English: NO MATTER WHERE I GO, TRAVEL IS MY DESTINATION.

What the dickens does that mean?


No comments: