Tuesday, June 13, 2017

It's Called Tension

Team Claw cycles to Gaius's house.

They leave their bikes in the shed, and go inside.

The house is cold. The heating is off.

Arthur and Sweezus have left to start training.

Nose is in the kitchen, with Kobo.

She whistles when she sees Third Sister.

Third Sister looks pleased.

I'm in the team, says Third Sister.

Well done, says Nose. I thought you would be. I like your black bike knicks. They make you look slinky.

They're really hard to move in, says Third Sister.

That's because you're off the bike now, says Nose. Take one leg loop out.

How do you mean? asks Third Sister.

Take them off, says Nose, and I'll show you.

Take them off, says Ouvert. And she'll rip them!

I won't rip them, says Nose. You keep your mouth shut.

It is shut, says Ouvert. I'm using the other one.

Shut that one, says Nose.

Third Sister starts taking her knicks off.

Baby Pierre doesn't want to see this, even though he's team captain.

He jumps up onto the table, to see what Kobo is reading.

Kobo is reading the Liane Moriarty that Sweezus left open.

Don't interrupt me, says Kobo. I'm trying to finish it before Sweezus comes back.

What happened at the barbecue? asks Baby Pierre. Do you know yet?

What do you know about it? asks Kobo.

I heard Sweezus complaining to Arthur, says Baby Pierre. He said no one should tease their readers like that. Two hundred and fifty pages and he still doesn't know what happened at the barbecue.

It's called tension, says Kobo.

That's what Arthur said, says Baby Pierre.

There you go, says Nose. Is that better?

Thanks, says Third Sister. It looks good tucked in like that. Will you come and watch me in Düsseldorf?

No, dear, says Nose. I'm going to catch a bus to Upper Sturt, and say goodbye to my parents. Then I'm off on a new adventure. I hear that a young female southern brown bandicoot has been found in Booderee National Park. I'm going there to let her know her rights. We endangered bandicoots must stick together.

That's why I love you, says Third Sister. You taught me everything about courage. And you fixed my bike knicks.

Goodbye, Third Sister! Good luck! Remember me to Tiny.

Tiny?

Your brother. He'll be in Düsseldorf when you get there.

Oh yes, Tiny.

Mwaa!

Mwaa!

(Two goodbye kisses).

You have a brother? says Ouvert. He'd be a better rider.

Sod off, Ouvert, says Third Sister.

No comments: