Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Pink Castle

Next morning, early, Gaius receives a phone call.

Gaius! It's me, Griff.

Griff! are you there yet?

Yes. We are all very tired. Now, what should I do with Nose and Third Sister?

Drop them at my house. Arthur is there.  Ask Arthur if Baby Pierre understood the message.

What message?

Ageless's message for Baby Pierre. Arthur will remember.

What if he doesn't?

He will.

........

A little later, Jacobi arrives.

Ready? says Jacobi.

Just waiting for Victor, says Gaius. Come in for a minute.

Jacobi enters, and sees the fish triptych.

Ah, says Jacobi. I understand now.

That's more than we do, says Gaius. What's your take on it, as a once influential philosopher?

It means, says Jacobi, that the journey is more important than the arrival.

I'd like to know how you came up with that, says Gaius.

It is a truism, says Jacobi.

Knock knock! It's Victor.

Now they can go.

......

Schloss Benrath is not far out of town. A short ride, through the fine streets of Düsseldorf.

A striking pink castle, with original interiors, a lake and ornate gardens, a museum and regular events.

What do you think? says Jacobi.

Pretentious, says Gaius. Where is the Natural Science Museum?

There, says Victor. They go in.

Gaius goes over to the desk near the entrance.

I should like to see the person in charge of exhibits, says Gaius.

Do you have an appointment? asks Heidi.

No, says Gaius. I have recently arrived from Barbados.

Barbados! says Heidi. I know a guy who lives there.

Not young Richard Ligon? asks Gaius.

No, says Heidi. Are you and your friends going in?

We intend to, says Gaius. But first I should like to deliver a gift to your Museum. A stuffed Barbados racer.

This is a local Natural History Museum, says Heidi. We don't show stuffed exotics.

In that case, says Gaius, we shall just look around. May I leave the parcel with you?

Sure, says Heidi. Sorry about the stuff up.

Ha ha, very good, says Gaius. Stuff up! I must tell the others.

He walks back to where Jacobi and Victor are talking.

I can't present the Barbados racer to this Museum, says Gaius. The young lady called it a stuff up.

We'll see about that! says Jacobi.

He strides over to Heidi.

Stuff up, says Gaius. Stuffed snake. He didn't get it.

I get it, says Victor. It's not the best joke I've heard. Germans have a strange sense of humour.

Jacobi is lecturing Heidi.

You must know that Germany has a Reciprocal Promotion and Protection Agreement with Barbados, says Jacobi.

Sure, says Heidi. Well, no actually, I didn't.

We do, says Jacobi. Therefore it is incumbent on you to take this stuffed item under your protection and furthermore, to display and promote it.

Okay, says Heidi. Seeing it's here, anyway.

Good, says Jacobi. Please ensure that you do it.

He strides back towards Gaius and Victor, who are no longer laughing at the stuff up and are looking at stuffed local Käfers and Wurms, and a Wasseralle.

No comments: