Friday, June 9, 2017

Travel Is A Fish Dream

Ridiculous! says Gaius. Travel cannot BE a destination.

I'm with you, says Victor. What has travel to do with a fish?

It has nothing to do with a fish, says Gaius. It's modern hotel art mumbo jumbo

What does it say? asks Terence.

It says NO MATTER WHERE I GO, TRAVEL IS MY DESTINATION, says Tiny. The fish is saying it.

Poor fish, says Terence. It's not going anywhere.

It's dreaming, says Tiny Sacrifice. And we can see inside it.

We can see its bones, says Terence. Someone's eaten the middle.

Maybe they haven't, says Tiny.

I know why you said that, says Terence. You took a bite of your mother.

She wasn't my mother, says Tiny Sacrifice.

We can all agree on that, says Gaius.

I must be off, says Victor. I'll see you tomorrow.

Wait, says Gaius. I don't suppose you could use your police phone to find me Jacobi's number?

No worries, says Victor.

He takes out his police phone, and starts rapidly using his thumb.

........

An hour later, Gaius knocks on the door of Jacobi's apartment in the Altstadt.

Come in! calls Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi.

Friedrich! Good to see you! says Gaius.

So you found the place, says Friedrich.

Indeed, says Gaius. I asked a policeman.

And who is this little man? asks Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi.

A policeman, says Terence. But I don't have a hat yet.

A nice complication, says Friedrich.

Terence files this information.

Would you like a drink? asks Friedrich.

Yes, says Terence. A red drink.

Anything, says Gaius. Water.

Friedrich disappears into his kitchen, and comes back with two glasses.

Water, blackcurrant, says Friedrich.  Enjoy. Did you bike over?

No, says Gaius. My bike hasn't arrived yet. I must say it surprised me to hear you were riding for Team Philosophe. I have had that same honour, in past seasons.

I know, says Friedrich. You must give me some tips. Or is that not allowed between rivals?

Watch out for clowns, says Terence.

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. That is a good tip. Last year Terence was minded by a clown. He found it most disturbing. The clown turned out to be Marcel Proust, and quite harmless, however.

That is good to hear, says Friedrich. But I mean tips about riding with Vello and David.

Don't expect to win, says Gaius.

Thank you, says Friedrich. But that is not useful. They seem jolly fit fellows.

David is somewhat portly, says Gaius.

That was not apparent, says Friedrich. We have teleconferenced, only. We had a small disagreement.

What about? asks Gaius. Race tactics?

No, no, says Friedrich. About the separation between understanding and apprehension.

They both like a good argument, says Gaius.

We shall see, says Friedrich. I say, would you like to borrow a bicycle, until yours arrives? I have a spare one.

That would be most welcome, says Gaius. I'm going to Schloss Benrath tomorrow, with a gift for the Natural Science Museum. Would you care to come with me?

I should love to, says Friedrich. Are you coming, Terence?

Yes, says Terence. No matter where I go, travel is my fish dream.

An enigmatic statement, for a minor, says Friedrich.

He's quoting it incorrectly, says Gaius.

No comments: