Sunday, June 18, 2017

Relativity Loops

How are you liking the food? asks Jacobi.

Fine, says Vello. But this meat is not rhinoceros.

I was thinking the same, says Gaius. It tastes like marinated beef.

Ha ha, laughs Jacobi. That is what it is. So you were not making a joke? Rheinischer-rhinoceros?

Ha ha, yes, says Vello. A joke, wasn't it, Gaius?

No, says Gaius. I just misread the menu. German words sometimes defeat me.

I imagine rhinoceros would be tough, observes David, picking his teeth with a duck bone.

Not at all, says Gaius. It's surprisingly tender.

No one asks him how he could know this.

Terence is still standing at the window. The lights of Düsseldorf revolve around him. His parrot wing hand droops. It is heavy.

He runs back to the table.

What were you waving at? asks David.

Tiny, says Terence. But he kept moving.

This is a revolving restaurant, says Jacobi. It is we who are moving.

I'm not moving, says Terence. The lights are moving.

We're all moving, says Vello.

Modern science, says David.

No. Time to get moving, says Vello. Before someone suggests dessert.

Oh, says David. I was rather hoping, since we didn't have starters, that we might try the cherry clafoutis.

I want cherry clafooties, says Terence.  I haven't had ANYTHING.

So they order the cherry clafoutis.

........

Later, at the Max Brown Hotel.

That was pleasant, says David. Now for an early night. Coming Vello?

Not yet, says Vello. I might sit in the social space for half an hour, and read the paper.

Early night for me too, says Gaius. Come, Terence.

Noo! says Terence. I have to find Tiny.

I'm right here, squeaks Tiny. Or tries to.

It sounds like: M-rt-hr!

I meant to tell you, Mr Secundus, says Freddie, coming over from the front desk. You will need to pay for a replacement ceramic parrot. It's not fixed properly. There is a small snake where the wing should be. Some of our more observant guests have remarked upon it.

Bother, says Gaius. Can it wait until morning?

Certainly, says Freddie. I'll keep it under my desk.

He carries the broken parrot with its snake wing to his desk and shoves it under the counter.

Terence follows.

I'll wait with you, Tiny, says Terence.

Wht-fr? asks Tiny.

Until you break loose, says Terence. Hey, did you see me waving?

N! says Tiny Sacrifice.

......

Four o'clock in the morning.

Everyone is asleep in the Max Brown hotel.

Everyone except Terence, Tiny and Ageless.

Ageless is awake by the phone.

He is waiting for a phone call from Baby Pierre, the Team Claw captain.

The phone rings. Ageless croaks softly: Hello.

Ageless, it's Baby Pierre. I've got the Vantablack coating.

Excellent. Don't open it yet.

We haven't. But Arthur might have.

Arthur might have! How do you know?

He's missing a section of finger.

Curses! Is it in a tube?

No, it's still on his hand.

I mean the Vantablack coating.

Yes. It's in a tube.

Weigh it.

Okay. By the way, we have a new team member. Third Sister. She's got a black bike and black bike knicks. And if you think a snake can't ride a bicycle you're wrong. She loops her legs up.

I'll believe it when I see it. Who paid for the bike and the bike knicks?

No one. It's on the invoice. With the black paint. Arthur's taking care of it.

Good, says Ageless. Arthur's taking care of it. That's the best news I've heard all day.

No comments: