Saturday, June 3, 2017

Team Claw

Later, on the flight to Frankfurt.

Ageless is snoozing under Gaius's seat. Kobo is awake beside him.

She overhears Gaius and Griff talking.

Griff: Not long until we part ways.

Gaius: Indeed. I ought to thank you for your assistance.

Griff: Not at all. It is I who should thank you. I feel I have blossomed as a person, whilst in Barbados.

Gaius: How so?

Griff: It began on the flight over. I had a revelation. I believe it was the voice of the Lord. The voice said clearly, GO FOR IT. And I took the Lord's advice and I went for it.

Gaius: Go for it? Are you sure?

Griff: Certain.

Gaius: Very strange. And what are your plans, when you return to Adelaide?

Griff: Oh, back to the library.

Gaius: You wouldn't consider taking Terence with you?

Griff: No, I wouldn't.

Gaius: Just a thought. What about the others?

Griff: Prefer not. But if you like, I'll take Nose and Third Sister.

Gaius: That would leave me with Terence and Tiny Sacrifice. And of course Ageless and Kobo. But they are more or less independent.

Griff: Done.

Under the seat, Kobo is making a decision.

She will go home as well. But Ageless won't like it.

She pokes Ageless awake.

I'm not going to Düsseldorf, says Kobo. I'm going home.

Good, grunts Ageless. You can organise Baby Pierre. I'll make a list of requirements.

I'm sure Baby Pierre will have organised everything perfectly, says Kobo. You know how he looks after that bicycle.

It's the other member of his team I'm concerned with, says Ageless. You know who it is?

No, says Kobo.

Ouvert, says Ageless.

Ooo! says Kobo. Ouvert! That little two-mouth scallywag.

Exactly, says Ageless. Have you got a pencil?

For goodness sake, Ageless, says Kobo. When have I ever had a pencil?

Did someone call for a pencil? asks Gaius.

Me, says Ageless. I'm about to write a list of requirements for Team Claw.

Griff will have one, says Gaius.

But Griff doesn't have one.

The hot meal trolley trundles by, backwards, leaving a delicious smell of herbed gnocchi, fried chicken breast and cranberry crumble in its wake.

By the time it returns, Ageless will have thought up a long list of requirements.

But he will not have written them down.


No comments: