Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Kiss Slowly Rising

Gaius knows he should not retell the comical story.

Not to Ageless.

What's the story? asks Ageless.

Never mind, says Gaius. The sooner we take off the better, I imagine.

Too right, says Tom MacDonald. That tropical cyclone's not here yet, but it's coming.

Come on, Terence, says Gaius. Leave the pot.

No, I'm bringing it, says Terence. To remind me of Blue Claw.

No, says Tom MacDonald. You can't bring it.

They clamber into the Gypsy Moth and Tom starts the engine.

Buzz-burr-ummm!

They take off into the cyclone-free blue yonder.

Weee! says Terence. Look down there! I can see Humboldt and Celia. And Pinky and Blue Claw! And even Kobo!

I don't think so, says Gaius. Those are probably ant heaps.

Yes, things look different up here, says Tom MacDonald. Even Rangerbots sometimes look like jellies.

Why does everyone keep talking about Rangerbots? asks Ageless. Are they a problem?

Ha ha! Not unless you're a crown of thorns starfish, says Tom.

Kobo LOVES them, says Terence.

What's this? says Ageless. My Kobo? She never told me.

She wants to marry one, says Terence.

(He is making this up).

Woe! moans Ageless. Take me back to Weipa. I must quiz my beloved!

No way, says Tom MacDonald. Settle down there.

But Ageless is pacing back and forth on his seat in the Gypsy Moth, magnificently jealous.

.........

Sweezus and Arthur are flying in greater comfort.

Arthur is still spouting poetry.

I know the skies bursting with lightning and the waterspouts and the surf and the currents....

Yeah, you do, says Sweezus. Sit back and relax, bro. As soon as we get to Cairns I'll get you a doctor.

A kiss slowly rising to the eyes of the sea, says Arthur.

Yeah right, says Sweezus. Let me look at that hand.

He unwraps Arthur's dirty bandage.

The cut is festering. Little feathers stick out of it.

Sweezus asks for some water.

........

Humboldt is sitting on a seat at the airstrip in Weipa, watching the weather.

It's now raining heavily and wind gusts are reaching 110 kph.

Whoo! A stack of chairs blows over.

Craa-ark! A tree falls on a car in the car park.

Red alert! All flights are now cancelled, says a voice on the loudspeaker.

Damn, says Humboldt. I'm stuck here in Weipa with a parrot, a prawn, a pink rubber glove and a fossilised clam. This is annoying.

No comments: