Thursday, January 3, 2019

I May Not Be Immortal

Sweezus tips bottled water over Arthur's festering cut.

The little feathers dislodge themselves and dribble down Arthur's leg to the floor of the plane.

It looks better already, says Sweezus. Let's see the other one.

Arthur holds out the other one while Sweezus unwraps it.

Urr, says Sweezus. I reckon the bandages are the problem.

Have I stopped bleeding? asks Arthur.

A sensible question.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Let's chuck the bandages.

No, says Arthur. I might need them again.

You can get new ones, says Sweezus. These are disgusting.

A flight attendant walks by with a rubbish bag.

Any rubbish?

The bandages go in.

Great! says Sweezus. Now that you're better....

(Arthur believes him)

....we can talk tactics.

Okay, says Arthur.

He is tempted to pick at his scabs.

But they're sticky. He shouldn't.

Basically, says Sweezus, we just need to hope it's really hot.

Good tactic, says Arthur.

The plane hits some turbulence.

A soft scab falls off. It's not his fault.

Then another.

.......

Weather's catching up with us, says Tom MacDonald.

Should we turn back? asks Gaius.

No, best we keep going, says Tom MacDonald.

Clunk! Bonk! The Gypsy Moth swoops and dives as a heavy cloud passes.

Rain drops spatter the windscreen.

Woe! says Ageless. I'm doomed to never again set eyes on my Kobo!

Bullshit! says Tom MacDonald.

Bullshit! says Terence.

Terence! says Gaius.

HE said it! says Terence.

He's the captain, says Gaius.

Just a few drops of rain, says Tom MacDonald. You don't know how hairy things can get up here, do you?

Woe! mutters Ageless.

Why don't you compose a letter to Kobo, suggests Gaius. Terence can help you. He has a pencil.

Terence did not know he had a pencil.

He looks for his pencil.

What shall I say? moans Ageless.

That depends on whether you expect to survive or perish, says Gaius.

Steady on, says Tom MacDonald. We're perfectly s....

Gaius winks meaningfully.

On second thoughts, great idea, says Tom MacDonald.

Perish! says Terence.

How can you be so calm? shrieks Ageless.

Come on, says Terence. I've nearly found a pencil. Start talking.

My beloved, says Ageless, calming down a little. My soft and delicious beloved. I may not be immortal.

Ha ha, laughs Terence.

It's not funny, says Ageless. An accident is always possible.

True, says Gaius. Perhaps we should all write a letter to a dear one.

I'm half way through mine, says Ageless.

Sorry, says Gaius. Go on.

...not be immortal, says Ageless. Therefore I must say goodbye. I have loved only you for aeons. I can't believe you want to marry a Rangerbot. My hope is that Terence is lying. Please submit to Blue Claw as captain of Team Crustacean. That goes for Pinky as well. Alas! I must leave you. Always remember your Ageless.

That's very good, says Gaius. Kobo is certainly ageless.

That's not what I meant, says Ageless. Have you recorded that, Terence?

No, says Terence. And I'm not going to write that you hope I was lying.

Leave it out then, says Gaius.

It's all out, says Terence. No pencil.

Have mine, says Tom MacDonald, drawing a short stubby pencil from behind his left ear.

Yuck. There's ear wax on it.

No comments: