Friday, January 4, 2019

The Act Of Pounding

Yuck! What's that? asks Terence.

Earwax, says Tom Macdonald. Sorry. I know I shouldn't use a pencil.

Indeed you shouldn't, says Gaius. Especially up here with this turbulence.

Tom wipes the pencil on his trousers.

Terence doesn't want it.

Fortunately, they are now over Cairns. The flight is over.

The Gypsy Moth lands, and Ageless stops pacing.

No need to post your goodbye letter, says Gaius.

Too late, says Ageless. I wish I'd known this would happen.

Me too, says Terence.

Thank you for the ride, Tom, says Gaius. Goodbye.

No worries, says Tom. I'll just check on the weather, then I'll fly back to Weipa and pick up your friends.

Excellent, says Gaius.

He heads for the terminal with Ageless. Terence races ahead to see if Sweezus and Arthur have landed.

They have.

Guess what! cries Terence. I was writing a letter.

You can't write, says Sweezus.

I didn't have a pencil, says Terence. Then I got one but it had ear wax on it. Then we landed.

Cool, says Sweezus. Where's the others?

Here, says Gaius. But unfortunately, some of our party are still stuck in Weipa.

Half my team, says Ageless. Blue Claw and my two domestiques.

Bad luck, says Sweezus. Arthur's come good, though.

Let me see your hands, Arthur, says Gaius.

Arthur shows him.

Pounded cabbage twice a day, says Gaius. Fomented in hot water.

Thanks, says Arthur.

You must pound it yourself, says Gaius The act of pounding itself promotes healing.

I know, says Arthur.

Have you told him that before? asks Sweezus.

I'm sure I have, says Gaius. Now the question is, do we wait here for Humboldt and party, or do we push on?

Push on, says Sweezus. We've got to organise our new outfits, and check out the stages.

I suppose I should also push on, says Gaius. Find my bicycle. Oil it. Rinse out my lycra.

No-o! wails Terence. We have to wait for Celia!

I'll wait here with him, says Ageless.

No kidding? says Sweezus. You'd do that?

Yes he WOULD! cries Terence. He wants to tell Kobo he's loved her for Ian's.

Aeons, says Ageless.

Actually, it doesn't sound all that different.

No comments: