Sunday, January 20, 2019

Tour Down Under: Stage Six - Resilience

The last day. The Queen stage.

The riders ride out of McLaren Vale.

Patrick Bevan among them, in spite of yesterday's fall.

And Richie Porte, who has won on Willunga Hill five time already.

And Daryl Impey, who has a good chance of winning the tour.

Now here comes Team Philosophe, who have not cheated.

And Team Crustacean, who have.

There goes Team Condor, who are more interested in controlling garden pests than they should be.

And there goes Elia Viviani.

Isn't it wonderful, says Belle.

No, says Terence. I don't like wearing this hat. I want my Eyebrow Hat back.

All right, says Belle. I guess it's not too hot at the moment.

Yay! says Terence.

And this is the last day, adds Belle.

Yay! cries Terence. Then what?

We practice papa's play. says Belle. I wonder if you'll be in it? You were in it last year.

Was I? asks Terence.

Yes, don't you remember? asks Belle. You were the Bright Red Object.

Yes! says Terence. This year I'll be the Bright Orange Object, with these eyebrows.

I don't think there'll be a Bright Orange Object in it, says Belle.

Terence eyebrows knit together. He has good control of them now.

You'll probably be something in the garden, says Belle.

Celia is listening.

May I be in it? asks Celia.

You'll have to ask papa, says Belle.

Go and ask him now! says Terence.

Celia flies off to ask Vello for a part in his play.

She flies over Team Condor, catching snatches of conversation.

Pablo: What is Tassie?

Sweezus: Tasmania.

Pablo: So! Richie's from Tasmania! Does that mean he knows that snails don't eat candied fruits and pistachios?

Arthur: Probably.

Sweezus: Has he finished his poem yet?

Pablo: If he wins today, yes.

Celia flies onward. She flies over Team Crustacean.

Blue Claw (reciting): Too-bee-too-bee-too.

Pinky: Yours is lovely. What's Richie's again?

Blue Claw: My visit is complete.
                   I have gone down the mountain.
                   Why should I wait any longer?

Kobo (from inside Pinky): O, so it's finished.

Celia flies on.

Vello is riding beside Humboldt.

Celia lights on his handlebars.

Vello: Achh! A parrot!

Humboldt: It's Celia.

Vello: What the devil does she want?

Celia: A part in your play.

Vello: Buzz off! See me afterwards!

Celia: Is that good news?

Humboldt: I'd say so.

Elated, Celia flies to the top of Willunga Hill, to await the finish

It's the finish!

Richie wins the Queen stage!

Daryl Impey wins the Tour Down Under, for the second year running.

And the crowd applauds Patrick Bevan.

For his resilience.

No comments: