Saturday, January 5, 2019

Passing Dark Hours

Three hours later, back in Weipa.

Kobo consoles the Blue Claw.

Ageless just landed in Cairns. You won't be Team Leader. Pity. You'd have been a good one.

Never mind. I didn't feel ready, says Blue Claw.

What's this all about? asks Humboldt, who had been miles away, dreaming of Chimborazo.

Kobo had a message, says Pinky. It was from Ageless. He thought he would die.

Message? says Humboldt. Has there been a message?

Yes. Kobo got it, says Pinky.

They have a supernatural connection, says Celia. Didn't you know that?

Really, says Humboldt. No, I didn't know that. Has it proved useful?

It has helped to pass the dark hours, says Kobo. Ageless gets bored because he is immortal. I am trapped in this clam.

You ARE the clam, surely, says Humboldt. Oh dear. Have I made a faux pas?

Are you your travelling clothes? asks Kobo. Are you those trousers? That grubby white shirt?

Yes, it is rather grubby , says Humboldt. I shall be glad to get home.

The sky is cloudless. There is a good chance of that happening.

So, says Blue Claw. For me, it's back to being a Sprinter. What role do you play?

Me? says Humboldt. Depends. I fancy myself as a climber. I lived for years on Mount Chimborazo. It was where I met Pauline.

Is she your girlfriend? asks Pinky.

He hasn't got a girlfriend, says Celia.

How do you know? asks Humboldt.

No phone, says Celia. To have a girlfriend you must have a phone.

Ageless hasn't, says Humboldt. But I suppose that's because he has the supernatural connection.

Prtt! says Kobo. I wish he did have a phone.

If I had a phone I could call Pauline, says Humboldt. Look up, she used to say. Look up. It was her favourite saying.

As if the spirit of Pauline had made a supernatural connection, Humboldt looks up, just as Tom MacDonald is returning.

Tom swoops in his Gypsy Moth. And waves at Humboldt.

A tiny thundercloud appears on the horizon.

No comments: