Saturday, January 26, 2019

Fall Out

Gaius lugs his vacuum cleaner up the stairs to the Velosophy office.

Is this it? asks Vello.

Yes, says Gaius. Faulty as ever.

It blows, does it? asks David.

It certainly does, says Gaius, I'm still finding grit in my hair.

Can I get in it? asks Terence.

Don't be silly, says Belle. It's full of hairs and fluff and whatever else has dropped on Gaius's carpet.

A great deal of detritus, in other words, says Gaius.

So can I? asks Terence.

No, says Celia. Change the bag first.

Doesn't have a bag, says Gaius. It's not that type of vacuum cleaner.

Yuck, says Belle. So does that mean you need a plastic bag or something?

I suppose so, says Gaius. I've got a shopping bag in my back pack, and, that reminds me, another surprise.

What is it? cries Terence.

WHO is it? says Gaius.

Terence is stumped.

How should he know?

I know, says Sweezus. An old friend of yours. And he wants to meet Celia.

O good! says Celia. Is it Saint Roley?

Yes, says Gaius. Wait here while I go down and get him.

He goes back down the stairs.

Why didn't Saint Roley fly up the stairs on his own? asks Terence. Maybe he's broken.

Let's hope not, says Vello. We want him to play the part of Paquette.

Gaius returns with Saint Roley, who is not broken.

Saint Roley! cries Terence. Guess what!

You haven't changed, says Saint Roley.

Why would I? asks Terence.

You wouldn't, says Saint Roley. And I'm glad.

I've got a real parrot! says Terence. Her name is Celia, and she knows about balanced diets and she tells people off. Not me. OTHER people.

That is a fine introduction, I must say, says Celia. Pleased to meet you, Saint Roley. I hear we have something in common.

I hear we do, says Saint Roley, but as it involves loss and sadness, let us save that for later. This should be a joyous occasion.

Indeed, says Vello. Joyous. Would you like a drink of water?

A red drink would be nice, says Saint Roley.

I don't think we have...... begins Vello.

Yes, we do, says Belle. Black currant.

This is cosy. Belle goes into the tiny kitchen and comes out with Ribena.

Yay! says Terence.

Way too sugary, says Celia.

I agree, says Saint Roley, but this is a special occasion.

So Terence gets some.

And Celia and Saint Roley sip Ribena from a saucer.

They look good together, says Vello.

They do, says David. Shall we put our proposition to Saint Roley?

Saint Roley, says Vello, how would you feel about playing a female character?

Odd, says Saint Roley. I have never done it. But if this lovely parrot is playing a male character, opposite my female character, I'm willing to attempt it.

Excellent! says Vello.

Gaius opens the vacuum cleaner by pressing a button.

Seeds and drawing pins fall out. And a few tiny spiders.

That'll be me soon, says Terence. I'm a stink bug.

David gets a dust pan.

No comments: