Sunday, January 6, 2019

Burst Or Drifted Away

The thundercloud drifts in a easterly direction

Any chance of the cyclone returning? asks Humboldt.

Highly likely, says Tom. But get in, and we'll beat it to Cairns.

Hub-brummmm. The Gypsy Moth takes off.

Celia looks down. Goodbye Weipa.

First time you've left Weipa? asks Humboldt.

In a plane, yes, says Celia. I've flown all over Cape York. I have parrot friends everywhere. They will miss me. But now, I'm following my heart.

How romantic, says Kobo. What does your heart tell you?

That my future is bound up with Terence, says Celia. I am his first proper parrot.

So he says, says Humboldt. He has a thing about parrots, but his previous parrots have been of non-parrot species.

Yes, one was a balloon, says Kobo. I can't remember whether it burst, or just drifted away.

How SAD, says Pinky.

Ha ha, laughs Tom MacDonald.

Why do you laugh? asks Pinky.

Apologies, says Tom. Just found it funny you thought it was sad.

Because I'm a rubber glove? asks Pinky.

Yeah, admits Tom MacDonald.

He resolves to be more sensitive to rubber passengers, in the future.

Putt-putt. Hop-pop. It's just turbulence.

Putt-putt.

Brmmm.

Now it's finished.

So, says Tom, you all in this bike race?

Yes, says Pinky. And me and Kobo have never cycled before.

Cripes! says Tom MacDonald. What about the Blue Claw?

Me either, says Blue Claw. But I follow cycling. I know all about it. The tactics, the diet, the legs, the commentary, the fans, the clowns and the tooters.

Impressive, says Tom. I've watched a bit of it. I like that one that's in France.

I was in it, last year, says Humboldt. My first time.

How did you do? asks Tom MacDonald.

But Humboldt doesn't wish to boast in front of the newbies.

Average, says Humboldt.

Can't grumble at that, says Tom MacDonald.

Blue Claw remains silent. But he knows he will grumble if Team Crustacean's performance is average.

He sits back and dreams of success.

His legs quiver.

Kobo shivers slightly.

Pinky inflates and deflates.

Celia is silent, thinking of what Blue Claw said he knows about cycling.

It sounds childish. Tooters!

And she doesn't like clowns.

No comments: