Monday, January 21, 2019

Input Orange

After the race.

The winners are happy.

Congrats Richie, says Sweezus. Six wins on Willy Hill.

Yeah, thanks mate, says Richie.

Finished the poem? asks Sweezus. Guess you must've.

Yeah, says Richie. I was going for a Middle Tang feel.

No kidding? says Sweezus. Give us a synopsis.

I've climbed a mountain to see a recluse, says Richie. When I get there his place is empty. I tramp through the wet grass and smell the pine trees. I imagine he's gone fishing. I look in through his windows. I see his table and chair. It's a cool place, even though he's not in it. Eventually I realise I I've completed my visit. I don't need to see him. And I go back down the mountain.

Awesome, says Sweezus. You're like a really cool poet.

Thanks, says Richie.

We're working on Vello's Fringe play, says Sweezus. It's a follow up. Candide's Garden.

I know, says Richie. There's snails in it. And a moral dilemma.

We could use your input, being from Tassie, says Sweezus

Love to, says Richie, but I've only got a coupla days till the Great Ocean Road Race.

No worries, says Sweezus. We're meeting at Vello's office in the morning. Come if you want to.

Richie is tempted.

The next morning in the Velosophy office.

Vello sits with his feet up.

David peruses a gardening book. Royal Gardens.

Belle is looking up garden pests, seeking an orange one.

Have you found one? asks Terence.

Not yet, says Belle.

In comes Richie.

Hi, says Richie. I hear you guys need some help.

Yes, says Vello. Help with the removal of pests.

He throws a dark look at the Vellogram who also has his feet up.

The Vellogram glowers. Is Vello referring to him?

Orange ones, says Belle. Know any orange ones?

Sure do, says Richie. The Bronze Orange Stink Bug.

Terence can't believe his good luck. There's a Bronze Orange Stink Bug!

He will be the Bronze Orange Stink Bug in Candide's Garden.

Belle looks it up.

It's orange with a brown spot in the middle, although apparently, it starts off light green.

Why are they a pest? asks Vello.

They eat oranges, says Richie.

And how does one control them? asks David.

Richie does not want to say poison. So he doesn't.

Nor does he want to say birds or assassin bugs will eat them. Because they will, but not in large numbers.

So Richie goes for an old method.

Suck them up with an old vacuum cleaner, says Richie. And drown them in meths.

Vello ponders how this method would look on the stage.

Yes. He likes it.

So does Terence. He is already making rude sucking sounds.

But Belle foresees technical problems.


No comments: