Tuesday, May 7, 2019

A Locomotion Headache

Where is she? asks the maratus.

Good question. Baby Pierre doesn't know.

But we know. Lavender is at the edge of Lake Jasper with the two Dirties.

Gaius squelches through the swamp grass.

He comes to a halt.

Ah! says Gaius. There you are Lavender. I was told you were here by a boy whose father I spoke to.

That boy, says Lavender.

He tells me he saved two of your team members, says Gaius.

Phfrrrt! says Lavender. He threw First Dirty into Lake Jasper in the first place. And then Second Dirty jumped in after him. So it was all that boy's fault.

Be that as it may, says Gaius....

It is, says Lavender. I just told you.

I haven't finished, says Gaius. Be that as it may, it's thanks to the boy that I've found you. Have you had any luck spotting spiders?

Not yet, says Lavender.

And where is Baby Pierre? asks Gaius. Perhaps he's been more successful.

I'm about to be successful, says Lavender.

Of course, says Gaius, But where is he?

I know! says Second Dirty. I was with him when we spotted a spider. I was supposed to fetch you while he stood guard.

Excellent, says Gaius. Lead on, Second Dirty.

Second Dirty tries to remember which way he came here.

He followed a canoe trail. But only half way. Before that he was following his own and Baby Pierre's tracks.

This should be easy.

Follow the canoe trail, says Second Dirty.

That's what I was going to say, says Lavender.

The canoe trail will lead back to the boy's father at the camp site, says Gaius. I followed it myself.

Not all the way, says Second Dirty. Half way, we make a divergence.

THAT'S what I was going to say, says Lavender.

Heh-heh, laughs First Dirty.

You shut up, says Lavender. You've been nothing but a hindrance.

First Dirty makes himself a secret promise, and shuts up.

Gaius picks up Lavender, First and Second Dirty and follows the canoe trail until he meets a divergence, at which point he follows the trail left by Baby Pierre and his team mate.

Gaius is a competent follower of trails. He soon arrives at the reed hole.

But where are Baby Pierre and the maratus cristatus?

They have already set off for the camp site, but they have not got far.

Baby Pierre is having difficulty with his usual mode of locomotion, which is rolling.

This is due to the added complication of trying not to crush the maratus cristatus, who is perched on his head.

So it is slow going, and Gaius soon catches up.

There they are! cries Lavender. I knew I'd be successful.

Gaius kneels down to see the maratus cristatus on Baby Pierre's head better.

Baby Pierre says nothing for the moment. He has a headache.


No comments: