Friday, May 24, 2019

Unaware Of His Feline Features

Baby Pierre is fixing his bicycle.

A spoke has popped out.

Felix is lying on the poncho next to the deceased.

Felix is winded.

Huh-huh!

He turns.

Sees the less fortunate maratus.

He weeps.

He could be my brother.

No, says Gaius. He could not.

Why not? asks Felix.

You are a felinus, says Gaius.

Means nothing to me, says Felix. It's not like I look like a cat.

Gaius determines to write something of this in his note book.

Subject does not know that he looks like a cat.

He looks about for a pencil.

Ah yes! In the date ball packet.

He reaches in.

Draws out a pencil. It's wet.

It's wet, says Gaius. Elodie, do you have a tea towel?

As if I'd have a tea towel, says Elodie. But I do have a tissue.

She reaches into her shorts pocket for a tissue.

It's folded. She unfolds the tissue. A squashed baked bean drops out.

I forgot all about that, says Elodie.

We hadn't, says First Dirty.

It's for Lavender isn't it? says Elodie.

What's for me? asks Lavender.

Nothing, says First Dirty.

He glowers at Elodie.

You wrecked it.

Give it to me, says Lavender. What is it?

The squashed baked bean lies on the poncho.

Thin skin, sand dusted, burst open, oozing floury insides.

You can keep it, says Lavender.

I'll have it, says Felix. It looks yummy.

Who are you? asks Lavender.

Felix, says Felix. I'm a trick cyclist, recovering from a blow.

YOU, says Lavender, are a maratus. Who found you?

No one, says Felix. I wasn't lost.

I mean who brought you here? No, don't tell me.

She has just spotted Baby Pierre, busy poking his spoke back into its spoke hole.

It must have been him.

Elodie can see that Lavender is disappointed.

Never mind, say Elodie. Let's go and look for females.

You and me? says Lavender.

You and me, says Elodie.

Lavender looks at Baby Pierre to see what he thinks about that.

Poker face.

Jealous!



No comments: