Monday, May 27, 2019

To Be Desired

Where is the one which is not? asks Shu.

Somewhere in China, says Markus. I thought you'd know that.

I'm no expert, says Shu. Just an ordinary spider-seeker.

Of course, Gaius is the expert, says Markus. He lent you his notes.

He did, says Shu. But not all of them. Page one is missing.

How did that happen? asks Markus.

Arthur used it to soak up my blood after our ....errm.... stick fight.

Stick fight? says Raoul.

Stick fight, says Shu.

How's your spider hunt poem going, Raoul? says Markus.

Am I doing one? asks Raoul.

Yes, says Markus. It's an activity. We're all doing one. Shu can go next if he's ready.

I'm not used to extemporising, says Shu.

Nor is dad, says Raoul. But he did a good one.

Thanks Raoul, says Markus. So who's next?

They trudge past reeds, sticking up out of reed holes.

In the reed holes live tiny spiders, of various species.

If only they knew.

Me, says Raoul. I've got mine.

This is a poem about me and my dad
And an old Chinese poet
This morning I thought our expedition was bad
And now I know it
The spider we're looking for lives in China.

Well! says Markus. I had no idea you thought our expedition was bad.

Tch! says Shu. Old Chinese poet!

And also, says Markus, we're not looking for the one that lives in China. We're looking for a new one.

Your rhyme scheme leaves something to be desired, says Shu.

At least I get ONE compliment, says Raoul.

That wasn't a compliment, but Shu lets it ride.


No comments: