Friday, May 17, 2019

Promising Females

There will not be a sad ending.

Gaius has found a pencil.

He slots it in, beside the maratus, along with several loose papers.

What's all this paper? asks the maratus.

My notes on the peacock spider, says Gaius. Feel free to peruse them. Unfortunately, page one is missing. 

I will read them, says the maratus. Never heard of peacock spiders.

But you are a peacock spider, says Gaius. It's your common name.

A bird name, says the maratus. I don't think so.

It's true, says Elodie. The male peacock has a splendid tail, and male marati have splendid abdomens.

Hardly the same thing, says the maratus. I object strongly. Is there a science journal I could write to?

I'm sure there is, says Gaius, but now we really must set off for the sand dunes.

He picks up the date ball packet with the notes, the pencil and the maratus cristatus inside.

They set off for the sand dunes.

They arrive at the sand dunes.

Now what? asks Elodie.

Spread out, says Gaius. Elodie, you go that way. Shu, you go that way. I'll stay here.

Shu goes off that way.

Sand and grass, no spiders.

He remembers they are tiny.

He stops and bends down to examine the sand.

Nothing.

Elodie has gone off the other way.

Sand and grass.

She bends down and pokes about for spiders.

Nothing.

Gaius has remained here.

He looks  around for signs of spiders.

His eye falls on the date ball packet which has misted over.

He unfolds it.

The maratus runs out.

Uh uh uh, says the maratus.

Dear me, says Gaius, I thought spiders needed less air than humans.

We need to keep moving, to breathe, says the maratus. Perhaps that was what was written on your missing page one.

I don't think so, says Gaius. But you're out now. When you've recovered, would you like to make yourself useful?

Sure, says the maratus. Just tell me how.

I thought you might make some sort of signal to attract other marati, says Gaius.

Done! says the maratus cristatus.

He opens his flaps.

Several drab-looking spiders emerge from the roots of the grasses.

Females.

This is promising.



No comments: