Sunday, May 5, 2019

S IF YO

The boy has rescued both Dirties.

He drags the canoe up, and drops First Dirty and Second Dirty onto a dry patch where Lavender is waiting.

Thank you, boy.

I'd better take the canoe back, says the boy. Dad doesn't know I've got it.

Okay, says Lavender. We'll stay here and keep looking.

We already found one spider, says Second Dirty. Baby Pierre's guarding it now. I have to find Gaius.

Go on then, says Lavender.

Which way do I go? asks First Dirty.

If you don't know, says Lavender, you'll have to join my team.

That's that then. He doesn't know. He will have to join her team.

First Dirty and I are exploring the edge of Lake Jasper, says Lavender.

And underwater, says First Dirty. I explored there too.

So did I , says Second Dirty.

I was there longer, says First Dirty. I saw a Western Minnow.

Did you ask it about spiders? asks Lavender.

No, says First Dirty. The subject didn't come up.

What did you talk about? asks Lavender.

The enigmatic Salamander, says First Dirty. And the Nightfish.

So you only talked about fish, says Lavender. You're useless.

I would have talked about spiders, says Second Dirty. I would have casually brought up that I'd seen one. But I didn't see any fish.

Lavender sighs. Why did Baby Pierre recruit losers?

Perhaps Mouldy was smarter.

No, he couldn't have been.

.......

Meanwhile Elodie has returned to the campsite.

Where's the Hilux?

Arthur and Sprocket have gone into Pemberton, says Gaius. They'll be back soon, with water and supplies.

That's good, says Elodie. And guess what? I met up with some people working on Project Maratus.

Excellent, says Gaius. Are they camping nearby?

Just over there, says Elodie, pointing.

Gaius stands up and heads off in that direction.

Elodie sits down next to David.

Enjoying it so far?

Yes, says David, but I fear I may have acted precipitately in choosing that van.

What's wrong with it? asks Elodie.

It only sleeps two. And there are three of us. Me, Arthur and Shu.

And three of us in the HiLux, says Elodie. That's even worse. But chill out. We'll sort it.

She stands up and walks over to the camper.

She slides open the door.

Shu is inside, sizing up sleeping arrangements.

This could easily sleep four, says Elodie. Just not longways. Can you sleep with your knees up?

No need, says Shu. I have just found a folded up rooftop tent, with an extendable ladder.

Awesome, says Elodie. I'll help you set it up.

They set it up together, smudging Sprocket's not quite dry paint in the process, revealing three more letters so that now it reads

S IF YO

Which is not in itself offensive.


No comments: