Monday, May 13, 2019

Read My Face

We must get going, says Markus. But first we should tidy up.

He picks up the empty baked bean can.

Hold on, says Gaius. May I have it?

Sure, says Markus. There's a few baked beans left at the bottom.

Never mind, says Gaius. I'll  rinse it out later. It may come in handy.

Elodie wonders what for.

Okay, says Markus. We're off to the bushland. Ready, Raoul?

Ready, dad, says Raoul. Do we have to go slowly?

Slowly? says Markus. No, why?

Because of this pebble, says Raoul. Or do I have to carry it?

I travel fast , says Baby Pierre. And my name is Baby Pierre, not 'this pebble'.

Sorr-ee! says Raoul. And what about the maratus fishtatus?

Cristatus, says Gaius. I'll keep him.

Fishtatus is funny, says Elodie.

But inaccurate, says Gaius. Strictly speaking it should be piscarius.

Maratus piscarius, says Raoul. Hey dad, we invented a name for a species.

Now we just have to find a new one that looks fishy, says Markus. Let's go.

I thought we were after a felinus, says Baby Pierre.

We are, says Markus, but imagine how good it would be to find a new species.

I'll try and find one, says Baby Pierre.

If anyone can, he can, says Gaius. Well, we'll be off.  Perhaps my team will find a new species.

Good luck, says Markus.

Baby Pierre has already started rolling towards the bushland.

Come on, piscarius, says Gaius, picking up the maratus cristatus.

Don't confuse it, says Elodie.

I'm not confused, says the maratus cristatus. Boy marati don't bother with species differentiation.

Does that explain your attempt to seduce Lavender? asks Gaius.

No. That was different, says the maratus cristatus.

Gaius and Elodie start walking back to their campsite.

Hey! Hey!

It's the Dirties, calling out for a lift.

But neither Gaius nor Elodie is listening.

Typical, says First Dirty. No one cares if we live or die.

No, agrees Second Dirty. No one but us.

Lucky we don't, says First Dirty.

Don't what? asks Second Dirty. Care?

Live or die, says First Dirty.

True, say Second Dirty. But we have unfinished business.

What's that? asks First Dirty.

To prove you're not a hindrance, says Second Dirty. I saw your face when Lavender called you a hindrance.

You read my face wrong, says First Dirty.


No comments: