Monday, May 20, 2019

Free-Wheeling Tenacity

Hello, says Baby Pierre. I have thought of a sensible question.

Go ahead, says the maratus felinus.

How would you describe yourself? asks Baby Pierre.

That's a very good question, says the maratus felinus. How would you describe yourself?

A free-wheeling pebble, says Baby Pierre, distinguished by....

I was repeating the question, says the maratus felinus. Not asking.

Sorry, says Baby Pierre. There's no way to tell the difference.

If you had waited a few seconds longer, I would have answered the question, says the maratus felinus. If I hadn't answered the question by then, you would know I was asking. But I don't usually answer a question with a question.

Good, says Baby Pierre. Do you remember the question?

Yes, says the maratus. How would I describe myself? A fun guy. A good dancer. Interested in short term relationships.

Stop, says Baby Pierre.

I've embarrassed you, says the maratus felinus.

You've misunderstood me, says Baby Pierre. I'm a volunteer with Project Maratus. We're trying to find new species of maratus in this biodiversity hotspot.

I see, says the maratus felinus. So I live in a biodiversity hotspot. Why then am I lonely?

A biodiversity hotspot is not a nightclub, says Baby Pierre. It's a region. Your habitat is shrinking. You should think about moving.

Lonely, repeats the maratus felinus.

I really wish you would tell me what kind of maratus you are, says Baby Pierre.

You should ask a female, says the maratus felinus. They always know.

Would you like to  know? asks Baby Pierre.

Would it help? asks the maratus.

Question with a question, says Baby Pierre.

Answer! says the maratus.

Short answer, yes, says Baby Pierre. If we wait here my colleagues Raoul and Markus will catch up. They might find you a female.

I don't want a female, says the maratus. You do.

But you're lonely, says Baby Pierre.

Can I ask you a question? asks the maratus.

Go ahead, says Baby Pierre.

Free-wheeling and distinguished by what? asks the maratus.

Me? says Baby Pierre. I am distinguished by this mark on my head. The Mark of the Claw.

What does it signify? asks the maratus.

Tenacity, says Baby Pierre. And good legs.

Free-wheeling, tenacity, good legs. You ride a bicycle! says the maratus.

I do, says Baby Pierre. It's in the camper.

Woo! says the marastus felinus. Can I see it?

Yes, says Baby Pierre. Come with me.

He is beginning to think that working on Project Maratus is easy.

No comments: