Friday, November 17, 2023

And See Me And Want Me

Back again? says Waca.

Yes, says Roo-kai. Terence has sent you a message.

What is it? asks Waca.

He's building a dinghy, says Roo-kai.

What with? asks Waca.

Sticks and prickles, samphire, a few pebbles, says Roo-kai.

What's on top? asks Waca.

The prickles, says Roo-kai.

I hope he's not thinking of coming to my rescue, says Waca.

He is and he isn't, says Roo-kai.

Meaning? says Waca. 

Meaning he was but he isn't, says Roo-kai. 

That's okay, says Waca. Does he know I'm resigned to my fate?

I did mention it, says Waca. Is that still the case?

Yes, says Waca. Of course my fate may turn out to be unexpected.

As fates often do, says Roo-kai.

Someone may come along, says Waca.

At any time, says Roo-kai.

And see me and want me, says Waca.

Sure, says Roo-kai. That could easily happen.  

You've been a good friend, says Waca.

Got a mesage for Terence? asks Roo-kai.

Ditch the prickles, says Waca. 

Roo-kai laughs and flies off, back to Terence.

Baudin has joined Terence.

He is inspecting the dinghy.

This is the world's worst dinghy, says Baudin. And you are the world's worst ship's boy.

You haven't tried it, says Terence. Get in.

There are prickles on top, says Baudin. Do you think I am stupid?

You're a lobster, says Terence. You won't even feel them.

Irrelevant, says Baudin. What is the point of these prickles?

Terence is about to explain the point of the prickles, when Roo-kai lands next to the dinghy.


No comments: