Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Watch The Tree

I know that look, says Du Fresne.

Sorry, says the quoll. I'm sure we'll be back on dry land before dinner.

As am I, says Du Fresne.

Are we moving at all? asks the quoll.

Watch that tree, says Du Fresne. It will tell you if we're moving.

The quoll watches the tree.

It's not telling me anything, says the quoll.

That's because were not moving, says Du Fresne.

Clever, says the quoll. And what if we were?

The tree would appear to move, relative to our position, says Du DFresne.

Can all trees do that? asks the quoll. 

Only the ones you can see from your vessel, says Du Fresne.

What is that called? asks the quoll. 

Common sense, says Du Fresne.

The quoll is offended.

Of course, says Du Fresne, it's only common sense for sailors. 

Are you a sailor? asks the quoll.

A sea captain, says Du Fresne. Privateer and explorer. That was some time ago.

How come you've ended up here? asks the quoll.

I ask myself the same question, says Du Fresne. I was in the vicinity when my old friend Baudin called and sent me on this fool's errand.

To find a missing parrot, says the quoll. You do know they go missing all the time?

I know little about parrots, says Du Fresne. 

They are not very tasty, says the quoll. It may be something to do with their colourful feathers.

You eat parrots? says Du Fresne. 

As a last option, says the quoll. I prefer little plump brown birds, or possums.

It occurs to me that you are not the best person to be in my search party, says Du Fresne.

I joined for the reward, says the quoll.

But you are likely to eat the missing parrot, should we locate him, says Du Fresne. 

Not very likely, says the quoll. It depends if this breeze you predicted gets up.

Du Fresne licks his dominant claw and points skywards.

Aha! I detect a faint stirring, says Du Fresne.

That is impressive, says the quoll.

The quoll keeps on watching the tree.


No comments: