Friday, November 10, 2023

Answer The Crackle

Do you need assistance? asks Gaius.

No thanks, I'll manage, says Captain Baudin.

He climbs slowly up Gaius's back wheel, via the spokes.

And hoists himself into position in front of Terence.

What do I hold onto? asks Terence.

My carapace, says Captain Baudin. Fear not, you can't hurt me.

But in fact Terence can.

Uh! Try to avoid that part, says Captain Baudin.

Sorry, says Terence. 

Ready? says Gaius. Then let us proceed. 

I'll fly overhead, says Roo-kai.

Gaius cycles north.

By the way, says Gaius, how do you keep in touch with Du Fresne?

The usual way, says Baudin.

Roo-kai is listening.

He disappears under a rock, says Roo-kai.

Does that mean you can't keep in touch while we're travelling, says Gaius.

Unfortunately yes, says Baudin.

We'll stop for lunch soon, says Gaius.

Yay! says Terence. What can I have?

Water, says Gaius. 

Boo! says Terence. I need a red drink.

Want me to fly ahead and look for a shop? asks Roo-kai.

If you would, says Gaius. I need to stock up.

Roo-kai flies inland, and arrives in Two Wells.

He looks about. Turns and flies back again. 

Any luck? asks Gaius.

We're quite near Two Wells, says Roo-kai.

Excellent, says Gaius. We'll go there, if everyone's agreeable.

Yes! says Terence. I'm agreeable!

Aye, says Baudin. But I don't enter shops.

You can wait outside with Roo-kai and the bicycle, says Gaius. 

They arrive in Two Wells.

Gaius and Terence go into the IGA supermarket to stock up on supplies.

Baudin remains on the bicycle, outside the store.

Crackle crackle.

What was that? asks Roo-kai. 

Nothing, says Baudin.

No, says Roo-kai. I know a communication type crackle when I hear one. But how does it work?

A lobster secret, says Baudin. Evolved over many aeons.

To what advantage? asks Roo-kai.

Crackle crackle.

Baudin doesn't answer Roo-kai.

And nor does he answer the crackle.


No comments: