Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Buzz. You Hadn't.

Victor walks back to the beach.

Spring water? asks Gaius.

No thanks, says Victor. 

Of course, says Gaius. You already have some. Did Terence persuade you not to use it for cleaning the car?

He did. We used tap water, says Victor.

And the scratches? asks Gaius. How's Camus going?

Going is the word, says Victor. Camus has left the vicinity.

He's probably just gone to buy himself a nice breakfast, says Gaius.

I doubt it, says Victor. I shouldn't have given him his car keys. The touch-up kit was a ruse.

This is all my fault, says Roo-kai.

Not at all, says Victor.

Kind of you to say so, says Roo-kai. But it was my inadvertent defecation that started this saga.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

A long story, says Gaius. 

Meaning a long police report, says Victor.

You realise you didn't even need to come here, says Gaius.

I wish I hadn't, says Victor.

I shall grant that wish, says Terence. Buzz! You hadn't.

That would require the disappearance of the scratches, says Victor.

And Victor, says Roo-kai.

And Terence's ability to grant wishes, says Gaius. 

I have an idea, says Roo-kai. Let's say I made the scratch marks. 

But they're my scratch marks, says Terence.

True, says Victor, but if you made them, who lifted you onto the bonnet? Camus did. Why did I let him? and so on. Whereas if Roo-kai made the scratch marks when he landed on the bonnet, that's a natural occurrence. Bird lands on bonnet. Bird shits. Bird makes scratches. Only a maintenance request is required.

Hold your horses. The scratches won't match, says Gaius. There's a difference between oystercatcher feet scratches and Terence's cement knee scratches.

Shall I make some more scratches? asks Roo-kai.

Not yet, I need to weigh up the options, says Victor. 

Yes, says Gaius. There's no hurry, and Camus might come back with a touch-up kit while we're waiting.

Aren't you sick of waiting? asks Victor. I thought you were here for bird-spotting.

I am indeed, says Gaius. But I haven't been wasting my time. I've been reading about the Kroombit tinker frogs of whom there are only one hundred and fifty left in the wild.

You don't say, says Victor. I'm not into frogs. Unless they've been smuggled.

Nevertheless Gaius continues to expound on the Kroombit tinker frogs. 

Blah blah blah.

Turns out they live in the rainforest gullies in Kroombit Tops National Park south west of Gladstone in Central Queensland.


No comments: