Friday, November 24, 2023

Crots Crappkl-up?

Du Fresne thinks he might forget about the brother.

Desolé, says Du Fresne. But now, I must be going.

What does dessolay mean? asks the female orange-bellied parrot. 

Desolé, repeats Du Fresne. Means I'm sorry.

About my missing brother? asks the Tzeet

About going, says Du Fresne. But yes, also about your missing brother.

He may have been taken by a fox or a cat, says the Tzeet.

Or eaten a noxious weed, says the female.

Failing that, says Du Fresne, he may be off on a fine adventure.

Not him, says the Tzeet.

No, not him, says the female. Not you either.

No dear, says the Tzeet. No more fine adventures for me.

Not until we return to Saint Kilda in the autumn, says the female. With our new family.

The Tzeet looks apprehensive.

Perhaps you could return on the ferry, says Du Fresne.

The female looks disapproving.

What kind of message will that send to our babies? says she.

I'll be heading off then, says Du Fresne.

What will you tell Gaius? asks the Tzeet.

I'll tell him you're in the family way, says Du Fresne. He'll be glad to hear it.

About my brother? asks the Tzeet.

Du Fresne is about to say that he will convey the bad news about the brother when, as bad luck would have it.....

crackle crackle

A communication. Excuse me, says Du Fresne.

He shuffles off behind the swamp gum.

Any cracklews? asks Baudin.

Cracklews? says Du Fresne.

Crenny news? repeats Baudin.

Sorry, bad reception, says Du Fresne. There is good news, one of the Tzeets is here with his sweetheart. They are starting a family. All is well. And I shall be leaving.

Crony cron of crem? crackles Baudin.

Yes but I imagine... begins Du Fresne.

May I butt in? asks the Tzeet, who has followed Du Fresne round the swamp gum, and is listening.

No, says Du Fresne. This is private.

But, is it Gaius? asks the Tzeet. Why haven't you told him about my missing brother?.

Missing brother?

It appears Baudin has heard him.

Crots crappkl-up? asks Baudin.


No comments: