Saturday, November 11, 2023

Eating, Loudly

In the IGA store, Gaius and Terence are shopping.

Gaius has chosen cheese and apples for himself, and Ribena for Terence.

Can I get something for Roo-kai? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Gaius. Any suggestions?

He likes molluscs, says Terence.

Hmm, says Gaius. They may not sell molluscs here.

Ask, says Terence.

Gaius goes over to the counter.

I don't suppose you sell molluscs, says Gaius.

Yeah we do, says the guy behind the counter. Pipis. Going fishing?

A treat for our parrot, says Gaius.

Parrots don't eat pipis, says the guy behind the counter.

Not as a rule, says Gaius. Wait! Are they frozen?

Yeah, says the guy behind the counter.

Any fresh oysters? asks Gaius.

All gone, says the guy behind the counter. We've got jars of smoked ones.

Gaius is considering a jar of smoked oysters when he sees a large packet of prawn chips on the counter.

I'll take these, says Gaius.

Up to you, says the guy behind the counter.

Gaius pays.

What did you get for Roo-kai? asks Terence.

These prawn chips, says Gaius. And if he doesn't like them, I know someone who will.

Me! says Terence.

Not you, says Gaius. Captain Baudin.

And me, says Terence. Can I open the packet?

No, says Gaius. Come on, we're leaving.

Outside the store Roo-kai is still hearing the crackling.

Captain Baudin is humming loudly, to drown out the sound.

Guess what! says Terence. We got you something!

Very kind, says Roo-kai. What could it be?

All they had was these prawn chips, says Gaius. 

I've never tried prawn chips, says Roo-kai.

I have, says Captain Baudin. In Chinese restaurants.

I thought you didn't go into shops, says Gaius.

Restaurants, I will sometimes enter, says Baudin. 

Try one, Roo-kai, says Terence.

Later, says Roo-kai. 

I'll try one, says Captain Baudin.

Crackle crackle. 

What's that? asks Gaius. Are you receiving a message from Captain Du Fresne?

Of course not, says Captain Baudin. It's the crackle crackle of the packet.

Crackle crackle. He tears open the packet with his mouth and his dominant claw.

Crunch crunch.

He eats several prawn chips, loudly.

No comments: