Sunday, November 19, 2023

Taken By Aunties

I would have called earlier, says Gaius. But my phone needed recharging.

Isn't it always the way, says Barb.

Indeed, says Gaius. But why am I too late to put in a good word for the captain?

We have handed him over to the aunties, says Barb.

The Needwonnees? asks Gaius.

No, not the Needwonnees, says Barb, There are none of them left. These are aunties who helped build the Needwonnee Walk. 

Is it possible to speak with the aunties? asks Gaius.

I'll make some enquiries, says Barb.

Thank you, says Gaius. You see, Captain Du Fresne was doing us a favour.

Stealing a paperbark canoe? says Barb.

No, says Gaius. He should not have done that. He went off on a tangent.

What was he supposed to be doing? asks Barb.

Checking on the two orange-bellied parrots we sent over to Melaleuca from here, says Gaius. 

Sent over? says Barb. Don't they fly here by by instinct?

These ones lacked the courage, says Gauius. So we sent them by ferry.

Ha ha! laughs Barb. You sent them by ferry! From Saint Kilda?

Our parrot guided them to Geelong, says Gaius. And arranged for an albatross to meet them.

No kidding, says Barb. I have to say, none of this sounds plausible.

True, nonetheless, says Gaius. 

Fine, says Barb. I'll see what the aunties make of it. 

Except, adds Gaius, that although I described our parrot as a parrot, 'parrot' is his function, not his species. 

What are you saying? asks Barb.

He is an oystercatcher, says Gaius.

Why didn't you say so? asks Barb.

I should have, says Gaius. So as not to confuse you.

Mm, says Barb. Well, I'll go and see if I can find the aunties. They often drink tea in the bird hide.

Then I'll call you back later, says Gaius. 

You do that, says Barb.

The call ends

Dear me, says Gaius.

What has happened? asks Captain Baudin.

Du Fresne has been taken by some aunties, says Gaius. 

Baudin is alarmed. He moves to the other side of the dinghy.

And attempts to get through to Du Fresne.

Crackle crackle slurp crackle crunck phee!

There seems to be some interference.

No comments: