Saturday, November 25, 2023

We Can't Trust Him

Nothing at all, says Du Fresne, in answer to Baudin's crackling question.

Did I hear something about a missing crackle? asks Baudin. Should I inform Gaius?

No need, says Du Fresne. A search party will find him.

You have formed a search crackle? says Baudin. Well crackled!

The least I could do, says Du Fresne.

Be sure to keep me incrackled, says Baudin.

I shall, says Du Fresne.

Du Fresne turns to the Tzeet.

You haven't formed a search party, says the Tzeet.

Correct, says Du Fresne.

But you intend to? says the Tzeet.

I don't have time, says Du Fresne. I have things to do, voyages to make, aunties to keep out of the way of....

You said it was the least you could do, says the Tzeet. 

There was a very bad connection, says Du Fresne.

But I'm here at your end, says the Tzeet. I heard you say it was the least you could do. Referring to forming a search party.

All right, says Du Fresne. I shall form a search party, but I won't be part of it. The search party will report back to you.

And if the search party finds my brother, who will tell Gaius? asks the Tzeet. 

I will, says Du Fresne. But right now I'm off to set up the search party.

He goes off, towards the lagoon.

The Tzeet looks at his orange-bellied sweetheart.

What will he tell Gaius, if he's not even in the search party? he asks his sweetheart.

We can't trust him, says his sweetheart. 

I should have joined his search party, says the Tzeet.

Why didn't you? asks his sweetheart.

Too much to do, says the Tzeet. Collecting rotten wood chips and so on.

I'll go, says his orange-bellied sweetheart

(let's call her Sweetheart)

O Sweetheart! says the Tzeet. That's why I love you!

She flies off, in the wake of Du Fresne.

She flits between peppermint and swamp gums, remaining unseen.

Du Fresne passes a spotted-tailed quoll. 

Sweetheart notes that Du Fresne does not ask it to do anything.


No comments: