Thursday, November 23, 2023

We Like Them Rotten

So where is your partner? asks Du Fresne.

Coming, says the female orange-bellied parrot.

Mind if I wait? asks Du Fresne.

Please yourself, says the female.

This ...kiss, says Du Fresne. 

Yes? says the female.

Perhaps I shouldn't ask, says Du Fresne.

It's how we mate, says the female. Cloaca to cloaca. Over in no time. I'll be laying eggs soon. 

I see, says Du Fresne. I assume your nest is nearby?

In this swamp gum, says the female.

Du Fresne looks up at the swamp gum. 

He is still looking (where is the nest? he can't see it) when a male orange-bellied parrot descends, bearing a wood chip.

That's a nice one, says the female.

I wasn't sure, says the male orange-bellied parrot. It's a bit rotten.

We like them rotten, says the female. 

But I wasn't sure how rotten, says the male.

Exactly this rotten, says the female. Go and put it in with the others. Then come out and talk to this lobster. He thinks he might know you.

The male orange-bellied parrot looks at Du Fresne.

He drops the wood chip.

He's called Marion, says the female.

That's a girl's name, says the male.

Apparently it isn't, says the female. And he knows someone who knows someone else who wants to find out if we've mated.

Why? asks the male orange-bellied parrot. 

The penny drops.

You must know Gaius!

I do, says Du Fresne. And you must be one of the Tzeets.

My brother and I did go by that name, back in Saint Kilda, says the Tzeet.

Trés bien, says Du Fresne. My mission is accomplished.

Don't you want to ask about my brother? asks the Tzeet.

Surely his story is the same, says Du Fresne. He met a nice girl, they kissed (in a way we do not need to mention) and are now building a nest out of wood chips, in the same manner as you and your sweetheart.

Sadly no, says the Tzeet.  My brother has gone missing.

That's bad news, says Du Fresne.

Curses! Now he will have to tell Baudin that the second Tzeet has gone missing. And Baudin will tell Gaius. And Gaius will expect him to investigate.

And to do that he will have to remain in Melaleuca.

While avoiding the aunties.


No comments: