Monday, April 20, 2009

La Musette

Pliny went to the Lunch Hour concert with her mum last Friday. They heard the distinguished Jean-Eric Soucy playing Five Old French Songs on the viola.

The Five Old French songs were l'Agreable, la Provencale, la Musette, la Matelotte and la Basque.

La Musette sounded like a cat dancing a tango. Musette, mused Pliny. What does that mean?
Does it have something to do with a cat?

I don't think so.

Except that it sounds like Mewsette.

Mewsette does have something to do with a cat.

Pliny remembered many years ago a Little Golden Book called Gay Purr-ee. She used to read it to her little sister. It was about French cats, or American cats in France. Jaune Tom sang this song to his love, Mewsette.

Mewsette, Mewsette,
My love and my pet,
I love you yet.

That can't be right, thought Pliny. I love you yet. I love you yet what?

No comments: