Friday, June 25, 2010

The Interesting Question

We were listening to the famous composition by Mozart, nicknamed the Kegelstatt Trio.

Kegelstatt means 'skittle place'. The name of the Trio derives from the legend that Mozart composed it in a bowling alley.

Now the interesting question that occurred to me was this: Where are the sounds of bowling, and of skittles falling over? Because even a tin ear can recognise sounds like that.

I had listened hard, but never heard a rattle or a rumble or a crash. Then, however, I had a piece of luck.

I heard a man behind me say, to his companion: They made mistakes, they played a few wrong notes.

I turned around. Oh, I said, you must be Mozart! Can you tell me why this piece is called the Kegelstatt, when it has no sounds of bowling in it?

Madam, said the man, I am indeed Mozart, and the nickname of this Trio has caused me much embarrassment. But I am not to blame. In 1786 I wrote 12 duos for basset horns while in a bowling alley. You will agree that basset horns are well-suited to the sounds of bowling?

I nodded, although I could not quite see why.

Some weeks later, continued Mozart, I wrote this piece for some friends of mine. I called it a Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano. What can I do if posterity thinks because you wrote one thing in a bowling alley, you'll write the next thing in a bowling alley? It's patently absurd!

I could certainly agree with that. I thanked him for his explanation, and settled back to listen to the second Trio, and dream of squid hats.

No comments: