Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rainer Maria Rilke

What would the Intellectual Pineapple make of Rainer Maria Rilke, I wonder?

Unfortunately, it will be hard to find out, as there is only a quarter of him left, but we can try.

Pineapple, what do you think of Rilke?

..t ...ch! Brr...

This isn't working. However I may be able to channel him.....

Yes.....he's coming through....

Hello.....I am the Intellectual Pineapple......do you have a question for me?

Yes. What do you think of Rainer Maria Rilke?

That depends. Is she a woman with a man's name or a man with a woman's name?

He is a man with a man's name. He altered his first name from Rene to Rainer on the advice of his psychoanalyst girlfriend, because Rene sounded too feminine.

What? I may be just a pineapple, but, shouldn't she have advised him to go the whole hog?

You mean get rid of Maria as well?

Of course I mean get rid of Maria as well. Didn't it occur to either of them that Maria was more feminine than Rene?

I don't know. Maybe it wasn't allowed. Perhaps it was disrespectful. Anyway, Pineapple, you are avoiding the question : What do you think of Rilke?

I admire him, he must have been very modern in his day. He tries to get to the very essence of things, their inner quiddity, so to speak. I was impressed by his description of the exposed wall. I should be interested to read some of his poems.

What a shame there is only one quarter of you left.

Yes, that is a shame. How am I, by the way?

Delicious. One of the best.

Thank you. Well I shall go now. Just one thing...

What?

What was the girlfriend's name?

Lou.

No comments: