Friday, June 18, 2010

Coincidence of Coincidences

Due to a coincidence I now have another dangerous letterbox story to relate.

But first, the coincidence.

No, first, the second coincidence, which was even more remarkable than the first, although, alas, having nothing to do with the dangerousness of letterboxes.

The second coincidence: Due to the first coincidence, I decided to look up the meaning of the word coincidence in the dictionary. Imagine my surprise when I opened the dictionary at the very page on which the word coincidence was to be found. Not only that, it was in bold type at the top right of the right hand page, so it was the first word I saw.

The meaning of the word coincidence: a chance occurrence of events remarkable either for being simultaneous or for apparently being connected.

Confession: I must confess here that the above definition comes from the Collins dictionary, and not the one in which the coincidence occurred.

Reason: The Collins definition was the shorter of the two.

Now for the first coincidence. As you may recall, I have been writing about dangerous letterboxes. Concurrently, I have been reading Victor Hugo's Toilers of the Sea.

This morning I read Book 5, Chapter 9, entitled, Useful Information For Those Expecting, Or Fearing, Letters From Overseas.

In this chapter is a description of what must surely be one of the most dangerous letterboxes of all time.

Time, however, having caught up with us, further revelation must wait until tomorrow.

No comments: