Friday, June 4, 2010

Iris Murdoch

The four platonic friends are hard at work, compiling a list of female philosophers.

Do you know any? Belle et Bonne asked Madam Denis.

Of course. There must be hundreds, answered Madam Denis.

Name one, said Le Bon David.

I'm just about to google a list, said Madam Denis, but since you ask, just off the top of my head, I'm sure you will have heard of .....Iris Murdoch?

Oh, Iris Murdoch, said Le Bon David. I do remember her. Wasn't there a film about her, starring Kate Winslet?

Yes! said the VeloDrone. I remember it! Kate Winslet! A lovely actress, and very talented, he added.

I saw it too, said Belle et Bonne. Didn't Judi Dench play her when she was older?

Yes, it was awfully sad, said Madam Denis. Iris got dementia.

Can we get her to write for us if she's got dementia? asked Le Bon David.

We'll ask the young Iris, said Madam Denis. The Kate Winslet one. And if I remember rightly, didn't she ride a bicycle in the film?

I'm not sure, said The VeloDrone, doubtfully. She rode a bicycle in The Reader. That one where she was a tram conductor, and you discover later that she was a guard at Auschwitz.

That is irrelevant! cried Madam Denis. No wonder you people never get anything done!

Calm down, Marie Louise, said Belle et Bonne. I think she probably rode a bicycle in both films.
After all she went to Oxford, and was an Oxford don. She must have ridden a bicycle.

Right. She will be perfect, said Madam Denis. One of us must write to her immediately.

No comments: