Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Madam Denis

The next morning, Madam Denis appeared at the door of the editors' office.

Marie Louise! cried Belle et Bonne. Come in!

You must be Madame Denise said Le Bon David, courteously. Welcome to our little office, Madame. Belle et Bonne has told us all about you.

Nonsense! replied Madam Denis. I doubt she has told you anything at all. And perhaps it is just as well, she added, looking pointedly at The VeloDrone.

Hello, Marie Louise, said The VeloDrone sheepishly. It has been a long time. Marie Louise, this is Le Bon David, David this is Marie Louise, my .... er ....niece.

And lover, said Marie Louise, loudly. Ex-lover, I should say.

Oh, ahem, I say, said Le Bon David. May I call you Marie Louise?

No, I prefer Madam Denis, said Marie Louise crisply. And certainly not Madame Denise, as you called me earlier. Madam Denis suits me. It is post-modernist, referencing the past but with an edginess more suited to today.

It's kind of masculine, said Belle et Bonne, helpfully.

It isn't meant to be, said Madam Denis. Now shall we get on with it? First we must draw up a list of female philosophers.....

Uncle David said......interrupted Belle et Bonne.

Nothing! said Le Bon David quickly. And I am not really her uncle.

Madam Denis looked at The VeloDone. The VeloDrone looked at Madam Denis.

Right, he said decisively, if this is going to work, we must put the past behind us and treat each other as platonic friends and equals. Do we all agree?

We do, said Madam Denis.

No comments: