Friday, December 7, 2012

Goings On

Professor Freud wakes up.

The bottom bunk is empty.

He kicks Farky awake.

Where's Mrs Hume? says Professor Freud.

She left early with Arthur, mumbles Farky.

Professor Freud is shocked.

He gets dressed and hurries to the Middleton carpark.

He scans the car park for SURF FINK.

SURF FINK is gone.

Only Gaius is there, sitting on a railing looking at the glassy flat sea.

Where is everyone? asks Professor Freud.

Gone to Victor Harbour looking for waves, says Gaius. I'm waiting for Arthur.

Arthur has gone off with Katherine, says Professor Freud. It seems they eloped in the night. A highly  titillating liaison. What are you doing here?

Enlisting Arthur to help me look for phasmids, or so I thought, says Gaius.

Stick insects! says Professor Freud. My favourite insects! Perhaps I can assist. But first let us go and eat breakfast at the excellent establishment of Mrs Swales.

They go off to do that.
..........

Arthur drives Mrs Hume back to Adelaide.

He drops her at home where she picks up her suitcase.

Where are you off to ? asks Arthur, as they drive to the airport.

I'm flying to Sydney to stay with my grandchildren Butterfly and Fish, says Mrs Hume. I shall be minding them while their parents move house. They are all moving to Blaxland in the Lower Blue Mountains.

I'd like to see Blaxland, says Arthur, on a whim.

Come with me then, says Mrs Hume.

Alright, says Arthur. I will.


No comments: