Sunday, December 30, 2012

What A Dolphin Knows

Arthur goes outside to talk to Bunny.

Did you follow me here? he says.

Yesterday I did, says Bunny. And I came back today. I want to ask you something.

Why? says Arthur.

Don't you mean what? says Bunny

No, says Arthur. I bet I already know what. You want to come back to Middleton with me and meet Sweezus.

Well can I? asks Bunny.

No, says Arthur. I only travel with poets and intellectuals.

Arthur! calls Butterfly from inside the house.

What? says Arthur.

Fish went to the toilet so he gets a treat! Can I have one as well?

Wow! says Bunny. I wish I was an intellectual.

Arthur is annoyed. He goes back inside and shuts the door.

.....

Mrs Hume is sitting in a corner of the Spirit Room at Endota Spa in Rozelle, a trendy suburb of  Sydney. She is dressed in a white bathrobe and a disposable paper g-string. Her feet are in a bowl of water in which small black things float.

Now, says Gill, smell these three essences and choose the one you're drawn to. It will be the one your body craves.

Mrs Hume chooses the first one. It is the only one that she can smell.

Citrus, says Gill. That's lively. Now get up on the table.

Gill massages Mrs Hume and they talk of this and that. Of laser treatments and Brazilians, of childhood and siblings, of swimming pools and the joys of a country living. The conversation turns to coal seam gas and fracking.

My sister is against it, murmurs Mrs Hume. She's coming to the party......

My father's in the mining industry, says Gill, so he's on the other side......

Mrs Hume drifts off into a pleasant place......

..........

Farky has drifted even further out. He remembers someone saying there would be no waves until Tuesday.

He looks down. The dolphin is still there. Or else another one.

When is Tuesday? he asks the dolphin.

As if a dolphin would know that, scoffs the dolphin. Shwssssh!

Silence but for the lapping of water against the surfboard and the dripping of the oar.

Wait! says the dolphin. Tuesday. That is Christmas.

Yes but when? asks Farky.

Tuesday, says the dolphin, swimming off.


No comments: