Friday, June 6, 2014

And You Don't Get Upset

Where are the barnacles? asks Schopenhauer, when Arthur and Unni come back.

They chose freedom, says Unni.

I was unaware they had a right to choose freedom, says Schopenhauer. They formed part of Gaius's collection.

They formed the entirety of my collection, says Gaius. I'll collect more of them on the way back.

You are becoming a philosopher, say Schopenhauer. Just as I am becoming a scientist.

I have long been a philosopher, says Gaius.

Schopenhauer waits for a matching compliment. That would have been nice.

But the compliment is not forthcoming.

Of course there is more to philosophy than mere resignation, says Schopenhauer.

Gaius is no longer listening.

We must get on to Howden, says Gaius. Arthur, where is it from here?

Half an hour away, down Brightwater Road, says Unni. But isn't it lunch time?

Yes, says Schopenhauer. It is lunch time. I saw a cafe on the beachfront at the bay.

.........

They ride back down Ocean Esplanade to Beach Cafe. Beach Cafe looks posh.

Would you like a table upstairs? asks the waiter. There's a wonderful view of the bay.

We would, thank you, says Schopenhauer.

Soon they are sitting upstairs in the Beach Cafe, perusing the menu.

Order whatever you like, says Schopenhauer. I'm in a good mood today. You want to know why?

Why? asks Unni. Oh, I know! It's because of the barnacles.

Yes, says Schopenhauer. I disliked having them in my basket.

You should have said so, says Gaius.

I did say so, says Schopenhauer.

The waiter comes back for their order.

I'll have Beach Parma, says Arthur. Crumbed chicken with bell pepper coulis.

Me too, says Unni.

I'll have pork belly and crispy noodle salad with dried shallots, quince jelly and strawberry chilli dressing, says Schopenhauer.

I'll just have dessert, says Gaius. I'll have the  vanilla and raspberry panna cotta with fairy floss, thank you.

Fairy floss!

If the others had seen that on the menu, they would all have had it.

But you get what you get, and you don't get upset.

.........

Mid afternoon. Becoming chilly. They ride into Howden.

A small relatively isolated community on the shore of South West Bay, that verges on bushland.

Gaius heads for the beach, followed by Schopenhauer, Arthur and Unni.

At last. This is where the giant lions mane jellyfish was found, washed up on the beach all those months ago.

Sand, sea and darkening sky.

Seaweed. Stones. Broken pieces of crab claw. A half eaten apple.

A stiffening wind.

An unpleasant realisation.

They may have come all this way, through all these tribulations (and lunches and dinners), to end up finding nothing at all.

No comments: