Thursday, June 26, 2014

Would Eat This Wouldn't Eat That

It gets dark early in winter. Schopenhauer rides back into Swansea.

The others are already there.

Any luck with the oysters? asks Gaius.

What oysters? says Schopenhauer. No.

Where's Captain Louttit? asks Unni.

You won't believe it, says Schopenhauer. He met an old friend and they've gone sailing.

Why wouldn't we believe it? asks Arthur.

Yes, why wouldn't we? asks Unni.

Perhaps there's more to it, says Gaius.

Schopenhauer tells them the rest of the story.

Oh right! They sailed off on a piece of seaweed! scoffs Unni.

She whispers something to Arthur.

That was different, says Arthur. It was a beach party.

Ah, yes, says Gaius. I remember. Arthur cooked and ate Admiral de Guichen, back on the mainland. Are you suggesting that Schopenhauer ate Captain Louttit?

No, says Unni. I was joking.

But you did suggest it, says Arthur.

I didn't eat Captain Louttit, says Schopenhauer. Why on earth would I do that, when our relationship had reached a new level?

New level? says Gaius. Don't tell me. He asked you to teach him to ride a bicycle.

How did you know? asks Schopenhauer.

Because he also asked me, says Gaius.

And me, says Unni.

That proves you didn't eat him, says Arthur. I wouldn't have eaten de Guichen, if he'd asked me to teach him how to write symbolist poetry.

Ha ha! laughs Schopenhauer. A lobster writing symbolist poetry!

This is pointless, says Unni. He'll either turn up, or he won't.

He'll turn up in Bay of Fires, wherever that is, says Schopenhauer.

Why didn't you say so? says Gaius. All right. Let's have something to eat.

They ride slowly through Swansea until they find Oyster Bay Seafood, as they all have a craving for seafood.

No comments: