Monday, June 23, 2014

Spiky Bridge Or German-Speaking Oysters

Hello all! says Gaius, hopping off his bicycle. I've had a most successful field trip.

In part, I see, says Schopenhauer, looking pointedly at the speckled spots.

What's all that? asks Unni.

It's the price you pay, says Gaius. Never mind. I have made a highly significant discovery.....

And what's that? asks Arthur, pointing to yellow sticky stuff on the handlebar. Looks like egg or something.

Egg or something? Gaius peers at the yellow sticky stuff and bits of broken eggshell.

Oh. No wonder the little birds were cross. But that will teach them.

What was this so-called discovery? asks Schopenhauer.

The birds appeared to speak a form of Latin, says Gaius, (forgetting the egg-or-something). Of course, when you think about it, it all makes perfect sense.

I beg to differ, says Schopenhauer. It would make perfect sense to me if birds spoke German.

He has a point, says Arthur. German is more guttural.

Arthur, says Gaius. You are an excellent right hand man, but you know nothing about bird phonology.

True, says Arthur.

He tries to think of an excellent  right hand man question.

He says: Have you had any lunch?

No, says Gaius. Did you pick me up something to eat, by any chance?

As a matter of fact, says Schopenhauer, we saved a quantity of ham and pineapple pizza.

Without the ham, adds Captain Louttit.

Ah, says Gaius. I prefer it without the ham.

Gaius chews on a few hard crusts of Scorchers pineapple pizza. Yes, that hits the spot.

And then they are away, heading for Swansea, along the Tasman Highway.

Just out of Swansea they see a sign for Spiky Bridge.

Spiky Bridge, says Unni. I want to see that, who's coming?

Not me, says Schopenhauer. I have no interest in bridges. I shall go down to the beach and look for.....

He tries to think of what.

Oysters! says Captain Louttit. Swansea overlooks Great Oyster Bay.

Oysters, says Schopenhauer. But you all go to Spiky Bridge if you want to.

I'll stay with you, says Captain Louttit. I like oysters.

So Schopenhauer and Captain Louttit ride on down to Oyster Bay, while Unni, Arthur and Gaius take the side road out to Spiky Bridge.

He's jealous, says Unni. Anyone can see. That's why he wants to look for oysters. He's hoping they speak German.

Arthur likes this explanation.

Gaius doesn't.

No scientist would ever think that way.


No comments: