Monday, November 2, 2015

Sticky Pre-Meeting Meeting In Montmartre

Gare du Nord.

They retrieve their bicycles, except for Océane, who doesn't have one, and get off the train.

Excuse me, says Pablo. I'm just running off to buy quince paste. Arthur, look after my bike.

I can't wait for you, says Océane. I have a pre-meeting meeting.

I'll find you, says Pablo.

No you won't, says Océane. You must stay here to meet Dries. Tch! Where is he?

She looks at her watch. Ah, here he is now. Dries! Dries! Over here!

A young man with black hair and a fluoro orange back pack lopes over.

Hi guys! Sorry I'm late!

You're not late, says Océane, we are two minutes early.

Dries winks at Arthur.

Two minutes. How bad these trains are.

Pablo meantime has disappeared to find quince paste.

How annoying, says Océane. I need Pablo to be here for the handover.

But what is the problem? asks Dries.

I must be in Montmartre in twenty minutes, says Océane. I'm to meet Carl Linnaeus.

I too, says Gaius.

Dries looks confused.

I thought we were going to to Sydney?

I shall be staying in Paris for the pre climate talks, says Gaius. Only Arthur and Pablo have signed your Twenty Names contract.

Oh, okay, says Dries.

Arthur likes Dries already.

Pablo comes back at a gallop, waving a paper bag of membrillo.

This is for you, my sweet Océane. Eat it and don't forget me.

Thank you, says Océane. Now we really must.....

is she drifting away from him already?
but he wishes to watch her ingest the membrillo
to place it on her tongue, let it melt there,
and slip past the pink flaps in her throat.....

Arthur has an idea. Why don't we all go to Montmartre?

Okay, says Dries. I am easy.

It's only twenty minutes walk to Montmartre from Gare du Nord.

They arrive at the Place des Abbesses.

They find seats outside a café near the ancient merry go round.

Dries orders and pays for the coffee.

Océane offers each of them a bite of membrillo.

Pablo watches her afterwards wipe it clean of everyone's spit.

The sun filters through the plane trees. The merry go round music tinkles gaily.

I wonder why he's so late, says Océane. Where is he?

A curious figure approaches their table. Could it be? No it couldn't. Yes it IS!

Carl Linnaeus! says Gaius, quickly swallowing his membrillo.

Gaius Plinius Secundus! says Carl. You haven't changed.

I can't say the same for you, Carl, says Gaius. Why are you dressed in that way?

This is my Laplander outfit, says Carl. Do you like it?

Don't tell me that Laplanders wear brown pancakes on their heads, says Gaius. Or is it a fruit bowl?

I'm surprised at you, Gaius, says Carl. It's a genuine hat, one of many types worn by the Sami.

I know, says Gaius. The Sami. But are you sure that you're wearing it right?

Come, gentlemen, says Océane. Our pre-meeting meeting ought not to be hijacked by banter.

It won't be, says Carl Linnaeus. I never banter.

Nor do I, says Gaius Plinius Secundus. But remember, this is not the pre-meeting meeting. This is the pre-pre-meeting meeting

HA HA HA HA! laughs Carl Linnaeus.

Océane looks a little put out.


No comments: