Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Why We Are Both Here

Carl Linnaeus sits at the outdoor café table, opposite Gaius.

He surveys his old friend.

I see you haven't gone to much trouble, says Carl Linnaeus.

I see that you have, says Gaius. May I ask why?

It's the advice of my stylist, says Carl Linnaeus. Price of fame, ha ha, having a stylist. I go on talk shows a lot. She suggested I wear my Laplander outfit to the climate talks.

It does draw attention, says Gaius. Is it hot in there?

It is rather, says Carl Linnaeus. The hat is cool enough, but the leather gakti is stuffy, and one must keep it buttoned, or one's belly shows.

Nice buttons, says Gaius. Beautifully scrimshawed. Is it reindeer antler?

Yes, as is my knife.

The knife reminds Gaius of Arthur.

Where is Arthur? He was here just now.

He went off with the other young man.

Pablo?

No. The one with the fluoro orange back pack.

He went off with Dries? How peculiar. What about Pablo? And where is Océane?

They walked off in that direction.

Extraordinary, says Gaius. We can only wait here until they decide to come back.

Fine by me, says Carl Linnaeus. Tell me, what mischief have you been up to lately?

Ah, says Gaius, (lucky he had Arthur make all those notes.) Researching a new species of funnel web spider in New South Wales. Before that, paleomagnetics, and virtual technology in Utrecht. In between, I rode in the Tour de France. Didn't come anywhere. Earlier.....

Same old dilettante Gaius, says Carl Linnaeus.

I suppose you've been focussing, says Gaius.

Of course I've been focussing, says Carl Linnaeus. Today there is only one story. The climate.

Naturally, says Gaius. That's why we're both here.

.........

Arthur and Dries have climbed up the steps to the Basilica de Sacre Coeur, and are surveying Paris, along with a few hundred others.

Does this view inspire you? asks Dries.

No, says Arthur. It takes more than this.

Me too, says Dries. I prefer flatness.

Now we know, says Arthur.

His knees feel itchy, for the first time in ages.

........

Océane enters the hotel, followed by Pablo.

You needn't have come, says Océane. I'm just checking the booking.

but anyway
whatever the reason
she has let him


No comments: