Friday, November 13, 2015

The Red Flower Of Determinism

How absurd. Is Carl Linnaeus suggesting that his wandering spirit travelled faster than mobile technology?

Absurd, says Gaius. I am talking to Ray at this moment. He has not yet opened the box.

Do you want me to get out of bed now and open it? asks Ray. I may as well. I'm wide awake now.

If you don't mind, says Gaius.

What's happening? asks Mai-Mai.

Hush, says her mother. Look, the waiter has brought you another Wahaha. And it's not orange.

Mai-Mai inspects the Wahaha. It's red, and only slightly less curdled. And she is thirsty......

He's getting out of bed, says Gaius.

I know, says Carl Linnaeus.

He's putting on his pants, says Gaius.

Hee hee, laughs Mai-Mai.

He's going downstairs, says Gaius. He's opening the sliding door.

Yes, yes, I know, says Carl Linnaeus.

He's stepping out onto the balcony, says Gaius. He's going down the stone steps and into the .....

.....dried up garden, says Carl Linnaeus, where he might note his hibiscus has died.

(Carl is just being annoying)

Is it a red one? asks Hui Zhong. It's bad luck, to lose a red one.

I hope not, says Gaius. But it may not have died.

He throws a sharp look at Linnaeus.

Now what's happening? asks Mai-Mai, lifting the red Wahaha to her lips, and licking the top bit which is frothy.

Mr Moon is about to open the red box IN REAL TIME, says Gaius.

Of course, says Carl. Let's see if he recoils when he does it.

Indeed, says Gaius.

But something occurs to him.

How will he know?

Ray, is it open? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Ray Moon. Awwh!

What? asks Gaius. Can I ask you to describe what is happening exactly?

I have recoiled, says Ray, due to something being in the box that I had not expected.

Damn, says Gaius.

Heh-heh, gloats Carl Linnaeus.

Yuck! exclaims Mai-Mai, through her frothy red milky moustache.

(The Wahaha tastes yucky)

Don't finish it, warns her mother.

What's in it? asks Gaius.

Tomato, says Mai-Mai. It's so disgusting.

I was asking Moon, says Gaius. But I'm with you on tomato.

What's in the red box, Ray? asks Gaius.

Urr, says Ray. It's not quite as bad as I thought, now the air has cleared.

Cleared of what! roars Gaius.

You'll be pleased, on balance, says Ray.

Gaius is not going to ask him again. He waits for the reason.

Because, says Ray, the Bristlebirds have produced two more eggs, and only one of them's broken.

No comments: