Saturday, November 7, 2015

Symbolic Climate Change Meeting

Where are we going? asks Gaius.

The Moulin de la Galette, says Océane. An appropriate place for a climate meeting.

Why is that? asks Gaius.

Yes, why is that? asks Carl Linnaeus.

Wind power, says Océane. It's a famous old windmill, now a bistro.

And does it still run on wind power? asks Gaius.

I have no idea, says Océane. But what does it matter? It's the symbolism of it.

I'm all for that, says Carl Linnaeus, patting his drum.

In a few minutes they arrive at the Moulin de la Galette. It is teeming with tourists, drinking aperitifs and coffee, and clattering their cake spoons.

Océane guides them to a semi quiet corner.

Ah! Here are the others.

At a table in the semi quiet corner, sit three persons.

One is David Suzuki. The second is Hui Zhong, the third is Mai-Mai, her cute little daughter.

Hello everyone, says Océane. Do we need introductions? Or does our fame precede us?

I know Carl Linnaeus, says David Suzuki. The Pliny of the North. Who doesn't?

Surely you also know Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Océane. The original Pliny.

Forgive me, says David Suzuki. But no. However, I am hon.....

I know him, says Hui Zhong. Hello Gaius. You may not remember but we almost met in Beijing two years ago. Your fingers were stuck together with a particularly powerful ancient Roman glue. I and my colleague Xui Li suggested nail polish remover, or WD40.  I assume at least one of them worked?

I remember the incident, says Gaius, but not you, I'm sorry.

You wouldn't, says Hui Zhong. I met Arthur, Sikong Shu and that very nice pilot.

Very nice pilot? says Gaius.

Richie Porte, says Hui Zhong. From Team Sky.

Richie no longer rides for Team Sky, says David Suzuki.

Is that so? says Gaius. Who does he ride for?

Team BMC, says David Suzuki. He thought he'd gone as far as he could with Team Sky.

A sound decision, says Gaius.

I thought so, says David Suzuki

Carl bangs his magical drum. Bong-bong-shut-up!

Quite right Carl, says Océane. The meeting proper must begin sometime. Shall I order drinks?

Mummy? says little Mai-Mai. Can I have a Wahaha?

I don't know if they have Wahaha here, says her mother.

What is it? asks Océane.

Fruit juice and milk, says Hui Zhong.

Oh, I'm sure they will make one, says Océane. What is her favourite fruit juice?

What is it, Mai-Mai? says Hui Zhong.

Lychee! says Mai-Mai, looking excited.

Oh she is so cute. But none of the ecologists notice. Even her own mother is more concerned with the pre-meeting meeting, which surely will start in a moment.

No comments: