Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Blue Blob At The Tip Of The Ball

What's that face for? asks Pablo.

What face? says Arthur.

Hopeful, says Pablo. When I'm in despair.

Someone from the Twenty Names Committee is meeting us in Paris, says Arthur. And I'm hopeful.

Océane Conscience looks up from rearranging the tights in her handbag.

Go on, says Pablo.

For two reasons, says Arthur. One, we've had two women follow us already.

So you think it'll be a man, says Pablo. And the second?

He'll have money, says Arthur.

Pablo thinks about this for a moment. Yes, it's a given that he will have money.

I could have told you, says Océane. It is Dries, and yes, he has money. Now I have a question for Pablo. Why are you in despair?

I love you, says Pablo. I have composed a poem about you, I began it when you dribbled your drink down your chin, and let it dry there.

I never did that, says Océane. I am meticulous. Where is this poem?

I have not yet written it down, says Pablo. But I will now.

He takes out.....NOT his pencil.

But his famous green pen.

For the first time, Océane is attracted. The pen is fish green. The point sparkles. A blue blob of ink appears at the tip of the ball.

She watches, as Pablo starts writing: Ode To A Meticulous Woman On A Train.

Arthur, says Gaius. As Pablo's not using his pencil, I wonder if you might use it to take down some notes.

Sure, says Arthur, reaching into Pablo's pocket for the pencil.

I'd just like to get my life's work into perspective, says Gaius.

We'll be in Paris in ten minutes, says Arthur.

Nevertheless, says Gaius, if I'm meeting up with Carl Linnaeus, he's sure to be asking.....

Okay, says Arthur. Paper?

Use the back page of my notebook, says Gaius.

Shall we work backwards? asks Arthur. Start with teaching the birds?

He hasn't DONE that, says Océane sharply.

I'll mark it To Be Completed, says Arthur. Now what were you doing in Antwerp?

Escaping from Utrecht, says Gaius. With the bicycle. I'd been visiting the University, their Paleomagnetic Lab, and their BikeLab, where they made me a Doppelganger. And after that there was the discovery of the new species of funnel web spider in Booderee National Park.....

You didn't do that, says Arthur.

I superintended it, says Gaius.

But the spider was eaten by the birds, says Arthur. Do you want Linnaeus to know that?

He's a man of the world, says Gaius. It's a natural aspect of ecology. Leave it in.

Pablo has finished the poem and handed it to Océane just seconds before the very fast train pulls into Gare du Nord.

She scans it briefly.

Oh, says Océane. It is highly sensual.

She reads it again.

And now that we have arrived in Paris, says Pablo, seizing the moment, I don't want you to go anywhere until I have given you a piece of membrillo.

(Of course, we all know this is quince paste, a Spanish fruit jelly).


No comments: