Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Splendid Impression Of A Camera

Mango is talking to a small group of children on the ferry.

We're on our way to Adelaide, says Mango. Yes, flying.

It's a long way, says a kid. We went to Adelaide. I was sick in the back of dad's car.

The ferry smells of metal.

Baby B-B feels sick in the leather contraption, under Mango's gold feathers.

Is he your baby? asks another kid.

No, not my baby. He's a Bristlebird. I'm a Macaw. That's why I'm the one doing the talking. I also do impressions. Want me to do one?

Yes! Yes! cry the children.

Mango does her impression of the sound of a camera. Ker-lick-tick!

That's good, says the kid who was sick in the back of dad's car.

Well, got to be going! says Mango. Don't suppose you could point me in a westerly direction?

This does not augur well for the rest of the journey.

Luckily baby B-B is too young to realise that Mango does not have an unerring sense of direction.

......

Mango flies over Camden. A historic town.

Look down there, says Mango. That's Camden, that is. Know how I know?

Ker-lick-tick! says baby B-B, who has been practising quietly.

That's right! I've seen an aerial photo. Mind you they all look the same..... But hey hey hey! That was a splendid impression!

Baby B-B is only a few hours old. It is quite remarkable that he has already learned to do an impression.

He deserves a reward.

I'll stop when we get to some smoke, says Mango. Smoke, do you know what that means? No, you don't. Smoke means a camp fire and a camp fire means marshmallows.

Ma-ma, says baby B-B.

Sweetness, says Mango.

It is unclear whether this is an endearment or further enlightenment as to the nature of marshmallows.

It is getting late now. The moon gleams on the darkening landscape.

Flap..flap..flap. Over Lake Burragorang.

Smoke! Mango lands next to a camp fire in a camp site near Wombeyan limestone caves.

People are laughing, and toasting marshmallows.

Hello all, says Mango. Got a spare marshmallow for my baby? Of course, being a Macaw, I don't want one.

A little kid gives Mango a burnt one.

Here you are, says Mango. Get your beak into that, little chickadee. Mm-mm.

What about you, you dear thoughtful bird? asks a motherly person. What do you eat?

Oh, anything rich in beta carotene, says Mango.


No comments: