Friday, November 24, 2017

The Self And The Other

Simone has to go to a meeting.

Sartre claims he does too.

Belle has gone shopping in Montmartre, with Terence and Saint Roley.

Sweezus and Arthur are goodness knows where.

So Gaius has to mind Baldy.

Gaius is reading an article on the plight of the Far Eastern Curlew on his bed in the small room at the Mistral.

Baldy has climbed up on a boxy red chair to look at himself in the mirror.

This is the last time you'll see me, says Baldy.

I doubt that, says Gaius.

I meant me, says Baldy.

I know, says Gaius. But we're not leaving until tomorrow.

I didn't mean you, says Baldy.

Who then? says Gaius.

Me, says Baldy. It's the last time I'll see me. I have to turn into a proper Parisien. I have to have washes. I have to learn Self and Other.

Lesson One, says Gaius. Don't expect a mirror to show you the Other.

Baldy likes that. It makes more sense than what Simone told him Lesson One was.

That's a good Lesson One, says Baldy. Simone said....

What was it Simone said? Men have appropriated the position of the Self  and women are understood to be the objectified Other.

And he was supposed to learn it. And then one day do something about it.

How long before I grow up? asks Baldy.

You will not grow up, says Gaius. Nor will Terence.

Good, says Baldy. That means I don't have to have Lesson Two. I was getting it after dinner.

Really, says Gaius. So you don't know what it is yet.

I know what it's called, says Baldy. Lesson Two: What is an adult?

Interesting question, says Gaius. Or is it?  Hmm. The more I think about it the more I think that it isn't. The answer is simple. A mature creature.

Oh, says Baldy. Now I'm sad I don't have to have Lesson Two. Because I know the answer.

It might not be HER answer, says Gaius.

What? says Baldy. Are there two answers?

Yes, says Gaius. More than two, sometimes. Take the Far Eastern Curlew.

I can't, says Baldy.

All right, says Gaius. Take Saint Roley.

I still can't, says Baldy.

As an example, says Gaius.

In that case, says Baldy, I could have taken the Far Eastern Curlew.

True, says Gaius. They do have the same problem.

With two answers, says Baldy.

Let us hope so, says Gaius.

I like talking to you, says Baldy.

Very good, says Gaius. But I'm going to have a short nap now. Would you like to look over these notes while I'm sleeping? See if you can spot any reference to bird life in these Moreton Bay developments plans. If you can, I'll be very surprised.

He hands Baldy a sheaf of notes, and lies down on the bed for a nap in the small room in the Mistral.

Baldy peruses the Moreton Bay Regional Council Planning Scheme.

Every now and then he looks up to see himself doing it, in the mirror.

No comments: